Did something silly - rented a room in a flatshare then changed my mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what would give your the right to demand rent until a new tenant is found?

Comment

There is a verbal agreement that they will live there, for some time at least.

Comment

jjl and MSaxp are correct.

If there is nothing in writing specifying the notice period, it is usually assumed to be the rent payment period, i.e. one month in this case.

The LL cannot demand that OP pays rent until a new lodger is found if that takes longer than one month.

On the other hand, if she re-let the room very quickly (e.g within a week), I am not sure whether OP is entitled to a refund of rent. Can anyone remember?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Amazing, one minute lodgers have no rights, the next they can do what they like!

Comment

The reality is somewhere in between.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
              On the other hand, if she re-let the room very quickly (e.g within a week), I am not sure whether OP is entitled to a refund of rent. Can anyone remember?
              Indeed, the rent paid in advance for the current period is not refundable unless landlord is nice enough to agree to it

Comment

This is the case if the tenant backs out; what if the landlord is the one that backs out?

Comment

The LL cannot realistically 'back out' once the tenancy/lodger's occupation has begun.

Comment

I see. To save any more distruption, i'll link to a relevant thread. Perhaps you have comments on it, perhaps not, but they are welcome.

Comment

The 2 cases are not the same. The debate in your case is whether your friend made an implied surrender to the property or whether he was thrown out. If you can prove he was thrown out, then he could argue for compensation but what the forum members are arguing is that his actions indicate he left on his own (moving his stuff out is provable) and not thrown out (the fact that he was forced to hand in the keys is more difficult to prove)

But i still think we can have this discussion in the relevant thread.
                      All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

Originally posted by 8086 View Post
                        I see. To save any more distruption, i'll link to a relevant thread.
                        Go on, then.

Comment

Sorry, I was sure it was there!

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...he-s-a-lodger)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X