DPS not dealing with dispute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPS not dealing with dispute

We had a tenancy end over a month ago with the tenant leaving quite a big mess behind them; dirty carpets and appliances, missing items, they'd painted the walls (badly) a dark green. We spoke to them about it and said there would be deductions to cover the repainting of two rooms, a full house clean, the missing curtains, blinds and a few other bits including the sofa; they had put the landlords sofa into 'storage', when it came back it was damp and mouldy, apparently it had been stored in a friends shed with no cover' it was delivered back to the house on a roof rack in the rain!!. The cleaners shook their head and said there was no way it could be cleaned succesfully, even Chemdry said no.

The tenants aren't the brightest people in fairness so we advised them to get some independent advice regarding the issues, we made a fair wear and tear assessment and reduced the claim accordingly bringing it down to £600. they had been in the property 18 months; it had been newly refurbished when they moved in; new kitchen, bathroom, decor, carpets, fittings etc. The sofa was 6 months old.

The inventory records the condition of the property accurately, they agreed and signed it. The tenancy agreement covers all that is needed to be done. the deposit is protected in the DPS, the correct prescribed information and t&c's had been issued and signed for.

The tenants have been told by their adviser that all of this is wear and tear!! also, as they bought their own sofa 3 months into the tenancy, the landlord should have moved his so is responsible for what happened to his - the first we new that the landlords sofa had been removed was during an inspection at around the 6 months mark; they confirmed it was in safe storage. We advised then that if it wasn't they would be liable.

All of this is backed up by email or letter. They dispute all dedutions; not sure who their 'adviser' is but he/she is mad if they think this is wear and tear.

We tried to negotiate with them when they left but they wouldn't budge, they refused to give us a forwarding address so it had to be via telephone or email; in the end they stopped replying or taking our calls.

We logged onto DPS to unprotect the deposit. The tenants didn't respond or log in (they had the details to do so)

So we started the single claim process with the DPS. Get the form completed, signed off by a solicitor and send it back to them with all the documents. 3 weeks later we get an email from DPS saying the tenant has logged in and has rejected the proposal so we had to log in again or negotiate with the tenant. We spoke to DPS and said we had already started the single claim process; they said that as the tenant had responded albeit 4 weeks late, they had cancelled the single claim process!!

So we had to log in again and repeat the process and wait for the tenant to log in. They did and rejected it again. Same email again from DPS. We have now gone round the same roundabout 4 times; each time we have selected the 'We are happy for this to go to ADR' option.

We complained that this was going nowhere but DPS say we must follow the process; we replied we had so they then told us it would be easier if we negotiated with the tenant!! I pointed out that if the tenant was willing to do that we probably wouldn't be having this discussion, they just said complete the online form again.

Trying to get through to a manager there is impossible, they are very resilient to any request to speak to someone higher up and the best you get is a team leader, so I have been looking for some clue as to the rules they have to abide by? They operate the scheme but they must have some sort of contract with the government to operate it in a certain way? I suspect it won't be in the public domain but if anyone has ever come across it I would appreciate a pointer.
    My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

The DPS have their hands tied, as the tenant doesn't have to agree to use their ADR process.

As it's the tenants money, they are free to have it limbo until infinity in my opinion, unless you take them to court and get a judge to rule in your favour, and order the DPS to release the funds to you.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I would be interested to know how they could be taken to court without knowing their address.

Comment

Originally posted by 8086 View Post
        I would be interested to know how they could be taken to court without knowing their address.
        We'd have to use Findermonkey to find them first obviously.
        My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Originally posted by oaktree View Post
          We'd have to use Findermonkey to find them first obviously.
          I didn't know about findermonkey, cheers.

I wonder if they do actually go beyond looking up the electoral roll etc. Anyway I'll get out of your thread now!

Comment

This is precisely the reason that I don't take deposits --> No need to protect. Other landlords I know are now doing the same. Deposit protection was a labour "lefty" initiative made by those who don't have real life experiences such as yours. Deposits work fine for "well groomed" tenants where no or little deposit deduction is necessary (Ah those were the days when you could just dust and vacuum when they left).

I take as big an admin fee as I can, a VERY thorough inventory and schedule of condition and seek recompense for dilapidations through the courts. You might find this advice useful.

Comment

Originally posted by 8086 View Post
              I didn't know about findermonkey, cheers.

I wonder if they do actually go beyond looking up the electoral roll etc. Anyway I'll get out of your thread now!
              I can't recommend Findermonkey enough; they've never failed us yet using all sorts of ways to trace a tenant

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dogs
                by royw
                What does your AST say about it?
                05-12-2021, 23:20 PM
              • Dogs
                by Bridge2020
                My tenant has asked if he can get a dog. Where do I stand on this ?...
                05-12-2021, 11:23 AM
              • Advice on s.8 & s.21
                by Hetty911
                Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Would be grateful for advice on the below.

Have a tenant on a AST which expired in July and has rolled onto a periodic tenancy. Over past 6 months rent has been delayed, partial and on two occasions unpaid. 2 months rent is missing...
                05-12-2021, 22:01 PM
              • Reply to Accelerated possession order
                by Hudson01
                Unless the tenant has dependent children, some, or all with a disability, and some other form of vulnerability for her/him self..... they will be in a crummy emergency accommodation flea pit or a dumpy flat in a place resembling the film set of '' Escape from New York ''. They are deluded.
                05-12-2021, 20:36 PM
              • Accelerated possession order
                by Pariah81
                A tenant has refused to leave the property at the end of her tenancy and has now asked to be evicted as in her words 'that will make her eligible for a council house'.

I am sending an accelerated possession order through the courts but whilst completed the forms noticed two apparent errors...
                05-12-2021, 18:12 PM
                by theartfullodger
                Thatcher's 1988 housing act makes it clear tenant does not have to leave at end of fixed term

Why help tenant take a council property from a more deserving case? I'd decline to serve s21. S8 if possible... (was she ever late with rent?)
                05-12-2021, 19:17 PM
                by Pariah81
                Ok so it looks like the section 21 notice is invalid as a result of this error. The deposit scheme was not in place at the time of the notice.

Apparently the deposit has to be returned in full....
                05-12-2021, 18:35 PM
              • Reply to Dogs
                by ash72
                The good thing is they have asked you prior to getting one, so the decision is yours. If you do decide then I would suggest you increase rent to compensate for your loss in the future.
                05-12-2021, 17:21 PM
              • Reply to Dogs
                by jpkeates
                I wouldn't, but it does depend on what type of dog.
                You should assume your carpets will all need replacing.
                05-12-2021, 16:21 PM
              • Reply to STA, Section 8 and Court delays/Christmas
                by jpkeates
                Assuming it's an AST (STA's are Scottish)...
                You don't have to renew the tenancy, just let it become periodic.
                And, you're right, don't renew it.

To repossess, you'll either have to attend court or pay a solicitor to do so on your behalf.

If the tenant doesn't owe...
                05-12-2021, 16:13 PM
              Working...
              X