Fixed term agreement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed term agreement

My Cousin is seeking some help, his fixed term agreement is due to expire on 5th Jan 2013. There is no contact from the landlord / agent if they want to sign a new agreement. A letter was received couple of months back asking if he wants to extend the contract or intends to leave and he responded informing he likes to extend but there was no reply thereafter.

Can you please suggest if he needs to vacate the place by 5th Jan or can continue to stay ?

He can vacate by the 5th if he wants to, but he doesnt have to. If he doesnt, the tenancy will be replaced by a statutory periodic tenancy aka rolling month tenancy. All the terms and conditions of the initial agreement will carry over, apart from tenancy termination. He can terminate the tenancy at any time by giving 1 month's notice (notice to expire at the end of a full rental period - month if rent is paid monthly).

For more info, search for statutory periodic tenancy (SPT). Plenty of info around.
    All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

it is probably more a case of cock-up than conspiracy on the letting agent's part.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          it is probably more a case of cock-up than conspiracy on the letting agent's part.
          Why do you say that ?

Comment

I suspect he means that the LA would have planned to get back to you with a new AST and charge you for renewing it but seems to have forgotten...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X