Lodger Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lodger Problems

My lodger, a 24 year old Italian, very friendly and respectable has been lodging with us for 9 months. Mid November due to family issues he returned to Italy for a couple of weeks. he left his affairs in his room, kitchen and bathroom and took the keys. Rent for December was due on the 2nd and having no news of his return, contacted him via text, voice mail and Facebook. There was no reply. I then sent an email requesting that the rent be regularized for December, and he said he was not coming back (this was on 9th December). I have exchanged many emails with him requesting payment and notice - he feels that it is not necessary apparently. I have his contact details in Italy. What should I do? Many thanks for your help.

What should you do about what?
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Would you not just withold his last months rent which he should have paid at the start and then relist?

You could take it up legally but the cost which it would entail wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

I think your choices are:

1/ Go through the process of obtaining a judgment, then try to enforce it in Italy.

2/ Forget about the whole thing.

Personally I would choose option 2. I've attempted to pursue debts (not property related) in continental Europe in the past. Not only is it expensive, but it's highly likely to be unsuccessful.

I'd get a new lodger in, referenced, and take a month's deposit off them, plus rent due in advance. And, a formal agreement.

Comment

Did he pay a deposit?

What does he want doing with his 'affairs' left in the room?

Enjoy the extra space over Christmas and then get a new lodger.
          There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X