Tenant Evicted s21, already left but cancelled final inspection an hour before

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenant Evicted s21, already left but cancelled final inspection an hour before

    Hi all,
    I issued a section 21 notice that expires in a few days (Dec 16th).
    T has already moved out into a council property & taken all belongings. Final inspection was arranged today at 2.30pm with T & her support worker (SW)

    SW rang me an hour before the meeting time saying that T is unable to make it today but can do tomorrow. My partner has taken a day off work to accompany me to the meeting & I feel uncomfortable going alone.

    S21 expires this Sunday and SW is not available weekends, my partner is working tomorrow and Friday.

    What can I do in this situation?

    PS: I cannot ask anyone else to come with me.

    T does not have to be present for check-out, so you could have gone ahead without them

    S21 expiry does not make any difference, as the S21 itself does not end the tenancy, and has no bearing on when you arrange the check out.


      In this case, would you say the tenancy has ended or not?

      Managed to get in touch with T and she said she can do Saturday at 1pm.

      Can I still go ahead and change locks today or wait til Saturday?


        Do not change the locks!

        The tenant can only surrender the tenancy to you, by giving you back the keys and confirming they have left the property and taken all possessiong with them. To ensure this is legally binding, it is usually suggested you get them to sign a Deed of surrender, giving you back full responsibility for the property and ceasing their rights to it. As the S21 can only be enforced by a court order, but in this case tenant has left willingly and moved on, this is all that is necessary.

        If you can do it on Saturday, and confirm the place is emtpy and get T to hand you back the keys, tenancy will end then. Give tenant a dated receipt for the keys being returned, a copy of your check-out report and ask the SW if present, to sign it as a witness. Take written meter readings and if possible, photograph the meters themselves as proof.


          Thank you very much for your clear advice, much appreciated.

          I will do all of this.


          Latest Activity


          • Reply to Enforcing a CCJ without current address
            by shoobydoo
            I used a company called Vilcol to trace someone. They gave me the new address and an updated phone number too. No solicitor needed. I did not have any previous address so had to pay a higher fee, but you already have the previous address so it will be lower. And if no trace, then no fee.
            11-08-2022, 18:50 PM
          • Enforcing a CCJ without current address
            by Chrisall
            First post and straight in with a question! We had a CCJ against a bad tenant and can't enforce/ recover the debt because the person refuses to provide their address. The prior address was our property and the only correspondence address is her debt management company. I've looked at address tracing...
            11-08-2022, 15:06 PM
          • Reply to Deposit not protected - when to take action?
            by artin
            I am a landlord. But not protecting a deposit is foolish and careless. I would go for it, I think you are entitled 1 to 3 times of the deposit so no body will go bankrupt, go for the max, can't see any excuse for not protecting a deposit. A landlord may forget to do something and a judge would be lenient...
            11-08-2022, 18:10 PM
          • Deposit not protected - when to take action?
            by security2
            Hi all,

            I know there's plenty of info on what to do when deposits are not protected but I wonder what your advice would be in this particular situation?

            A friend of mine took on a rental in London last year and has given notice to vacate for end of this month. It's through...
            11-08-2022, 17:12 PM
          • Reply to Deposit not protected - when to take action?
            by jpkeates
            I'd wait until the deposits been returned.
            Unless the agent makes some unreasonable demands, in which case I'd start then.

            Your friend has six years from the deadline to protect the deposit to make a claim.

            Even if the agent is acting on behalf of a landlord, it's possible...
            11-08-2022, 18:06 PM
          • Reply to Can I get rent paid direct to me?
            by NaomiB
            When you are my age, thirty one is enormously young!
            11-08-2022, 17:52 PM
          • Can I get rent paid direct to me?
            by NaomiB
            My tenant was supposed to have left yesterday but she hasn't so this morning I posted my N325-eng form with the £130 for the bailiffs.

            I am expecting the court to take about three weeks to issue the warrant and four to six weeks for the bailiffs to come so about two months or so. She...
            11-08-2022, 12:46 PM
          • Reply to Deposit not protected - when to take action?
            by AndrewDod
            Is the agent the named landlord on the tenancy agreement. If so, go for it. If agent is agent for some other named landlord, you will be screwing someone who has already been screwed over by the agent, so would need a good (moral) reason to want to do that....
            11-08-2022, 17:45 PM
          • Reply to Can I get rent paid direct to me?
            by Hudson01
            31 !!! Is not young, she is acting like a 15 year old, at 19 i was at war in the South Atlantic, that was young, she sounds immature and delusional.

            As said by others, forget all the updates with her and ensure you deal with her in a business like manner, she really is in for a big shock..........
            11-08-2022, 17:42 PM
          • Reply to Section 21 costs - who pays?
            by freddycd15
            Thank you all.

            What I've understood from the replies and some searching from my side is that:

            1) The court fee (£355) and a fixed fee (about £50-£80 depending on the nature of the case) are claimable only. I'm not sure if there are any others?

            2) You would fill...
            11-08-2022, 17:31 PM