What do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
    You will only be able to evict these people before the end of the 12 months if they breach one of the grounds in schedule 2 of the 1988 Housing Act
    Specifically, ground 2, 8, 10-15, 17 (so not ground 1, 3-7, 9, 16).

Comment

Agreed, and to clarify for mgram:
      2, 8, 10-15, 17 can be used if the agreement specifies
      1, 3-7, 9, 16 can not be used before the end of the term

Comment

Originally posted by mgram View Post
        Hi all, everything went well initially - the tenants agreed to move out until the letting agent advised them that they did not need to as what I was doing was illegal (this was 10 days after I informed the LA of the situation).I now appear to be stuck with a tenant I do not want, with a tenancy agreement I did not agree to or sign,(the tenants have already breached 4 clauses) with a letting agent I have no written agreement with, who has disregarded my instructions, won't respond to my calls and I can't do anything till the agency opens again on Jan 3rd. The tenant has been in touch asking about paying January rent -
        You need to take on board the fact that there is a tenancy in place and that you cannot unilaterally end it without a court order for possession.

It doesn't matter that you didn't sign the tenancy contract. A tenancy agreement of less than 3 years doesn't even have to be in writing to be valid and binding. The fact that there was an agreement to pay rent and the fact that the tenant was given and took possession of the rental property is enough to create a tenancy.

It also doesn't matter that you didn't sign a contract with the agent; clearly, you had a verbal contract and instructed the agent to find a tenant.

Arguing with the agent will achieve nothing in respect of the existence of the tenancy or ending the tenancy. (You might, ultimately, have a case to claim for damages for negligence against the agent, if he was negligent or ignored your instructions, and you suffer a loss as a result - but that's an entirely separate matter).

I felt that in accepting another months rent I may be admitting that I did not have right to ask them to go in the first place - I wanted to seek clarification on this first, however it does not look as if I can until after the rent is due.
        You didn't and don't have any right to ask the tenant to vacate, regardless of rent payments. The only way you can legally and unilaterally end the tenancy is by obtaining a court order for possession.

There is a tenancy in place and rent is due under the terms of the tenancy contract. Accepting rent is not 'admitting' anything.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Housing First - what are your thoughts?
          by jpucng62
          Much as I have sympathy for your clients and would like to support your work, I like jpkeates, would be unlikely to accept this kind of tenant. There is just too much risk for a private LL.

I did once rent a property to a similar organisation and the problem was not the tenant but her boyfriend...
          18-09-2020, 14:49 PM
        • Housing First - what are your thoughts?
          by LandlordLiaisonOfficer
          Hello,

I work for a homeless charity and I am hoping you don't mind me bending your ear and gaining some landlord insight on a model we are imminently implementing for some of our service users.

Traditional housing models within the homeless sector require the service user...
          18-09-2020, 12:32 PM
        • Reply to Part furnished
          by jpucng62
          Hope you held on to the deposit
          18-09-2020, 14:45 PM
        • Part furnished
          by Chester Perry
          Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
          18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
          by Chester Perry
          I posted elsewhere on here and feedback was a mix of its not worth it as nothing will happen (plus police will treat as a tenancy issue) and its worth doing to get a crime number.

Not going to claim on insurance given excess etc. The fridge freezers value second hand / age considered probably...
          18-09-2020, 14:22 PM
        • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
          by jpkeates
          A 15 year old washing machine has almost zero value (and will have less when you move out).
          The landlord can only legitimately claim for their loss if you bin it.

A mid range washing machine is about £350 (and they haven't changed much in price recently), and imagining one would...
          18-09-2020, 14:14 PM
        • Landlord refuses to sign inventory
          by Bumblebee3000
          We've recently rented a house that from the very start seemed badly taken care of - there were various problems like a mouldy washing machine/curtains, broken curtain rails, etc. When we arrived to meet the inventory clerk, we signed a 2-page document of handwritten inventory notes (we broadly agreed...
          17-09-2020, 20:13 PM
          by theartfullodger
          Trust you've reported the thefts to police
          18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
        • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
          by Bumblebee3000
          This is very helpful, MdeB, thank you. I will try to relax about the inventory now. In regards to the mould - the landlord has a letter from the curtain cleaning company stating that the mould has been "killed" during the cleaning. I actually spoke with the curtain cleaner when he was here...
          18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
        • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
          by jpkeates
          The process seems to have changed recently.
          The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
          You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
          But you do that with only access to what the...
          18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
        Working...
        X