Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please

I had two new tenants (both friends) move in on August 19th. There are two bathrooms in the flat and both worked when I left. They moved in three days later and advised that one of the showers wasn't working - cold water only.
    I spent a while trying to source plumbers and was hindered in that the tenants refused to consider weekdays - which I understand to a point - and some of those I contacted didn't work evenings or Saturdays. I also got messed about by a couple. I will also confess to some procrastination on my behalf and it was November before things started to progress properly.
    Another plumber wasted a bit more time until I contacted another who said I'd need to speak to the shower company direct which I did a fortnight ago. I have purchased the part - processor unit - early last week and the plumber is going round this week as the tenants weren't available at the weekend.
    I had already agreed a refund of £100 off the rent due on Nov 19th which was accepted by one tenant and I said I would provide further rebates until it was resolved. I received a call from the other tenant last week who said he now wants a reimbursement to cover the period since they moved in.
    Personally, I don't feel that you can ask for backdated refunds at a later date and particularly when I had agreed a refund after a period of reasonable time had expired and would continue to do so until it was fixed. Not all the delay has been my fault as I did have plumbers who could have gone round earlier but the tenants refused weekday visits. I have then found some weekend slots like the most recent one but they had plans hence a further delay. They have had a working shower in the other bathroom although I appreciate they were paying for the use of two bathrooms and it must have frustrated them as well.
    Am I being reasonable in saying no to the previous months but reimbursing them further for current non-use? Or should I bow to their request and give them £100 for each of the first two months it didn't work (from a monthly total of £925)?
    Many thanks for your consideration.

IMO, even with 1 shower in the property and pres a bath, then £100 rent rebate for each, is a fair offer (5% loss on 4 months rent) You only pay tax on rent received after allowable expenses
    As you say, they were not deprived of a shower, just inconvenienced, partly by their unwillingness to accom a weekday plumber and partly by your procrastination.

I would have a word with them that the delay was partly caused by them not arranging a time for a weekday plumber to call and do the job, as any working owner-occupier would have to do.
    If only 1 persons shower was out of action, why are you rewarding both with £100 each?

Comment

As above.
      one bathroom and shower for 2 people is more than enough.

I only have one shower for 2 people.

You can find many posts on here saying, never let to friends, as
      they become intolerable with their demands.
      "We are friends, and you want to help your friends, don't you"

Next time, do not let to friends.

R.a.M.

Comment

The £100 is fair, they still had 1 working shower and they are just trying to fleece you. Don't give in to their demands on further deductions. They should have been more accommodating for a mid week visit.

Comment

I agree with your orginal post and would never consider back-dating rebates! Nice try from the Tenant...

I'd explain as you have done here that much of the delay was caused by wanting a plumber 'out-of-hours' and the additional costs which that involves.

Comment

What is the actual set-up?
            Are they two separate bathrooms with showers in the tub?
            Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thank you for the comments so far and I should clarify a couple of things I can see could be misconstrued.
              Firstly, they are both friends but I did not know either them prior to the let.
              Secondly, I had agreed £100 total reimbursement so £50 each (not £100 per person) and their request was another £100 total refunded for Aug 19th - Sep 19th and a further £100 total refunded from Sep 19th - Oct 19th.
              Their argument is the £925/mth includes both bathrooms so they are due a rebate for only having the use of one (and it is a shower/bath).

Clearly I don't want to part with any further cash but I'd also like to be confident I have been reasonable given the circumstances.

Comment

If both bathrooms have a bath, then there is no queston that you
                do not give any more refunds.

They want a total of £ 300 for a one shower not working, but now
                fixed, when they have a bath !
                Tel them they have had £100 already, and they were not
                inconvenienced as the bath was available, and it looks like they
                are refusing to use the bath.

You cannot give them a refund for refusing to use a bath tub !
                An alternative to a shower was provided.
                They were NOT inconvenienced.

If they wish not to use that acceptable means of washing, that's
                not your problem, as they would not allow access during normal
                working hours -as well .

Consider that reason for not giving any more refunds.

R.a.M.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X