So I need to get rid of my flatmate

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    So I need to get rid of my flatmate

    I'm subletting to a.. well, someone I considered a friend. No-one's actually signed anything, so it's all done with a handshake, but he's 2 months behind on rent, and after all the broken promised and lies, I gave him notice and told him to be on his way.

    The problem is, I never see him, and he doesn't respond to any of the ways I have of contacting him. He'll turn up sometimes while I'm at work, but most of the time he's around his girlfriends house.

    So I'm lumbered paying his half of the rest for all his possessions to be stored (very messily) in his room and the hallway.

    Since I gave him notice verbally, and via facebook some time ago, that he should be gone by the ist Dec, I'm going to actually have to change the lock to stop him squatting there, but I need to get his stuff out and get everything cleaned before someone else can move in.

    What on earth can I do with all his stuff?

    #2
    Store it for a reasonable period then dispose of it.
    [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

    Comment


      #3
      If he's a Lodger then change the locks. You've given him plenty of notice (to remove a Lodger notice could be instant). Tell them they can collect their stuff but don't let them in the prroperty hand it too them through the door. Get help if required.

      There's plenty of threads regarding lodgers in these forums do a search and save some re-posting.
      There is always scope for misinterpretation.

      If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

      Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by mk1fan View Post
        If he's a Lodger then change the locks. You've given him plenty of notice (to remove a Lodger notice could be instant). Tell them they can collect their stuff but don't let them in the prroperty hand it too them through the door. Get help if required.

        There's plenty of threads regarding lodgers in these forums do a search and save some re-posting.
        Instant? I find that hard to believe... notice should be reasonable... after all you'd be making someone homeless.
        [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by MrJohnnyB View Post
          Instant? I find that hard to believe... notice should be reasonable... after all you'd be making someone homeless.
          Reasonable notice can be instant.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by thesaint View Post
            Reasonable notice can be instant.
            Do you have any case law to prove that? I imagine in extreme circumstances yes, but day to day squabbles about nothing of consequence or overdue rent as in this instance asking someone to leave immediately would be extremely unreasonable.
            [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by MrJohnnyB View Post
              Do you have any case law to prove that? I imagine in extreme circumstances yes,
              If I woke up one night and caught my lodger having sex with my 14 year old son, it would be reasonable for me to evict him immediately.
              No, I do not have any case law to prove that.

              Originally posted by MrJohnnyB View Post
              but day to day squabbles about nothing of consequence or overdue rent as in this instance asking someone to leave immediately would be extremely unreasonable.
              It wasn't "extremely unreasonable" to ask. The OP was asked to leave, and they left.
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by MrJohnnyB View Post
                Do you have any case law to prove that? ....
                Not case law but note this usually reliable source...
                http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...ting/lodgers#3
                Excluded occupiers have very few rights. The landlord will only have to give reasonable notice, which could be a very short amount of time, in order to evict them.
                I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...

                Comment

                Latest Activity

                Collapse

                Working...
                X