Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Credit checks

Can anyone answer the following questions please

1. How do we check prospective tenants credit history?
    2. How much do these checks cost?
    3. We took our last tenant to court for rent arrears and won,
    does that mean a CCJ will be automatically placed against her name if the debt is paid over a period of years?

TIA

Mr/MrsLandlord

1. Google 'landlord referencing/credit check' or look at some of those on offer on this site.

2. You can pay from £15.99 for a very basic check to £100 for complete referencing.

3. Yes as a judgement was issued by the court to make the tenant pay up.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
      You can pay from £15.99 for a very basic check to £100 for complete referencing.
      Worth pointing out to the OP that if what he wants is specifically credit checking, the expensive version is unlikely to give him more info than the cheap one - usually at the low end of the price range you get the credit check only, and then the more you pay the more extras you get (ie more labour intensive ones like contacting employers, referees etc).

Personally I pay £10 a pop to the Residential Landlord's Association for their basic credit check, and then do all the other referencing myself because I'm (a) a control freak and (b) a Yorkshireman

Comment

If you're not a member of the RLA, I know where you can get one done for £12.99

With regard to the CCJ, if the judgement was obtained via a 'section 8' then it will only be registered once you attempt to enforce it.

If it was a 'small claim' and the re-payment was specified in the judges court order and the tenant complies with that, there will be no CCJ. The moment they breach - and you take action - the CCJ will be applied.

Comment

So that means if I did a credit check on our previous tenant, who we successfully took to court for rent arrears, hat no CCJ will be shown as she has up to now complied with the judges ruling, i.e. she has paid us £10/ month to clear her arrears. If that is the case why do a credit check? when we could end up in the same position with a non paying tenant. I'm really confused now, I would have thought that once a judge had made a ruling, a CCJ would be applied automatically.

Mr/MrsLandlord

Comment

This explains why a simple credit check is not enough.
            (Also, you should be aware that CCJs can be made, in unfortunate circumstances, where the defendant may be unaware of the action)

You are entrusting your property to a complete stranger.
            You should also take up references from the previous two or three landlords, and employers.
            Verify any written references with a follow-up phone call.

If you don't want to do this yourself, you can employ a tenant checking service, but each may operate to different standards. You would be entitled to see records and material they turn up, since tenant checking service would be acting as your agent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X