Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damage to Flat from Unauthorised Works

Hi,

Looking for some guidance on how to deal with damage caused by unauthorised works. Reason I am asking is that I want to make sure I follow correct procedure and avoid any unnecessary disagreements.

My tenants have done a lot of unauthorised works in the form of insulation to doors, windows and even walls.

They acknowledge that this has led to a damp problem particularly in bathroom.

They are due to move out soon and I'm worried that genuine cost of repairs will be contested.

The letting was done by a reputable company who have certainly followed all procedures.

Can anyone advise best way to deal with this?

Thanks v much,
    Ad

Depends what out come you're looking for.

If the works have been carried out to a good standard and well thought out then why remove them. Just because there is a damp problem doesn't mean the insulation works haven't been done well, it just means the whole picture hasn't been considered. The damp problem [I suspect] can be resolved by improving ventilation. Something that is likely to be cheaper than removing the works and of benefit to the property.

That said if the works are of very poor quality then their removal would seem the only option.

Have the tenants been put on notice that there may be consequences to their undertaking these works?

It's highly likely that you'll need an independant report on the type, quality and consequences of the works in order to support any claim against the tenants.

I'd ask your agent what they plan to do about it / what they advise should be done.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Thanks for comments.

Unfortunately the work is to a very poor standard.

I've only been to inspect and take pictures but I intend to write to them about the matter.

Noted on the independent report thanks.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X