Damage to Flat from Unauthorised Works

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Damage to Flat from Unauthorised Works


    Looking for some guidance on how to deal with damage caused by unauthorised works. Reason I am asking is that I want to make sure I follow correct procedure and avoid any unnecessary disagreements.

    My tenants have done a lot of unauthorised works in the form of insulation to doors, windows and even walls.

    They acknowledge that this has led to a damp problem particularly in bathroom.

    They are due to move out soon and I'm worried that genuine cost of repairs will be contested.

    The letting was done by a reputable company who have certainly followed all procedures.

    Can anyone advise best way to deal with this?

    Thanks v much,

    Depends what out come you're looking for.

    If the works have been carried out to a good standard and well thought out then why remove them. Just because there is a damp problem doesn't mean the insulation works haven't been done well, it just means the whole picture hasn't been considered. The damp problem [I suspect] can be resolved by improving ventilation. Something that is likely to be cheaper than removing the works and of benefit to the property.

    That said if the works are of very poor quality then their removal would seem the only option.

    Have the tenants been put on notice that there may be consequences to their undertaking these works?

    It's highly likely that you'll need an independant report on the type, quality and consequences of the works in order to support any claim against the tenants.

    I'd ask your agent what they plan to do about it / what they advise should be done.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

    If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

    Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.


      Thanks for comments.

      Unfortunately the work is to a very poor standard.

      I've only been to inspect and take pictures but I intend to write to them about the matter.

      Noted on the independent report thanks.


      Latest Activity


      • Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
        by DoricPixie
        In the opening post you said there was 6 month fixed term AST with both your niece and her now-ex-partner named as joint tenants. Now you are saying there was never a tenancy agreement drawn up.

        With the benefit of hindsight it would have been better if you'd had your niece pay money into...
        27-10-2021, 06:33 AM
      • Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
        by Yorkie2020
        Good evening all,

        I wonder if I could get some advice on ending an AST tenancy in England.

        Originally a 6 month AST last Sept between my niece and her partner, I foolishly listed both on the AST as joint tenants and didn't list him as a permitted, there was no deposit paid....
        20-10-2021, 19:44 PM
      • Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
        by Yorkie2020
        Guess I've been very lucky this time. My niece has informed her partner that she is ending the tenancy and signing up for a new one in her name only and he is ok with it. She did point out that he will no longer be responsible for any more rent or bills when it's totally in her name.
        27-10-2021, 02:02 AM
      • Reply to Increasing rent
        by jpkeates
        There may be something on the NRLA website, but I don't know of a standard template.

        To be honest that clause doesn't seem to help you a lot, it stops you using a s13 notice (I'd wrongly assumed that because it said "may" you'd be able to) but doesn't actually help you with an...
        26-10-2021, 17:37 PM
      • Increasing rent
        by Berlingogirl
        Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
        My tenancy agreement says
        “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
        Is there a specific form I should use?...
        26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
      • Reply to Increasing rent
        by Berlingogirl
        Thanks jpkeates, I looked at the form 13 but that’s for if you don’t have anything in your tenancy agreement with regard to a rent increase. Is there a pro forma for a rent increase if there is a condition in your TA?
        26-10-2021, 17:05 PM
      • Reply to Increasing rent
        by jpkeates
        If the tenancy is now an SPT, and you want to be ever so formal (and impose the increase without any agreement), search for form 13 (which is called something else on the government's tenancy forms page).

        Otherwise, you just need to get the tenant to agree and start paying the new rent...
        26-10-2021, 13:58 PM
      • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
        by jpkeates
        It is quite likely that the 2 additional months might be seen as a deposit, unless the tenancy agreement is very specific about the initial payment being for months 1, 5 and 6.

        If it is a deposit, you won't be able to use a s21 notice without returning it and the deposit will be unlawful...
        26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
      • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
        by Shorif908
        Hi All,

        I have recently had new tenants move in.
        the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

        The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
        26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
      • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
        by Lesney Park
        BUT to answer your question, yes the 3 months very much look like an unlawful deposit, being for a non-defined period (the last 3 months of a tenancy). If it is for a specific 3 months, its a bit lesss grey but then I'm wondering what you hope to achieve...
        26-10-2021, 08:35 AM