Can anyone advise me....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone advise me....

Can anyone advise me on the following please.

My property is attached to a very large townhouse to which a mother and her two children occupied a couple of years ago.
    Since they have occupied the property it seems a few other people have moved in and the drug use and dealing is quite unbelievable. I am now on my fourth tenant is just under 2 years.
    The police have raided the house and broken down the front door several times but have never found any drugs at the property. The noise levels are horrendous at all times of the day, through the night into early hours. They have 2 very large dogs and are extremely abusive people. The shouting and screaming is quite frightening.
    After months and months of calling the police and council etc to try and locate the landlord, I finally managed to get his contact details. I contacted him immediately and found that he was quite aware of the on goings and only lived about 5 minutes away.
    I had a 3 hour conversation with him and feel I have got absolutely nowhere. He seems to know a lot about residential lettings and advised me he has been a landlord for almost 30 years. When I asked if he was going to give his tenant notice he told me he couldn’t give them notice as he didn’t have a valid reason to. He told me he needed proof as to why he is asking them to vacate.
    He told me that if they find drugs or he can prove they are drug users he will issue the notice. He told me if he doesn’t have a valid reason the tenants could take him to court for issuing the section 21.

Can anyone advise/help me with this please? I don’t know what to do next

Thanks

Tell him that the tenants cannot take him to court for issuing a Sec 13 notice.
    Tell him that if he wants help, you will help him to prepare it, and if he is prosecuted for issuing it(no other reason)you will pay his fine.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Well, the other landlord is talking cobblers about the s21 leading to any trouble for him (other than irate tenants kicking HIS door in!).

However, what you can practically do to force him to evict them is another matter. If there are no better ideas, do you think he would comply if YOU offered to handle / pay for the eviction for him?

Comment

Thank you for your comments.

Is there anyway the tenants can take him to court for issuing a S21? Does a landlord need a valid reason to do this.

Comment

I am not sure how you didn't get this from our responses, but:

A tenant cannot take a landlord to court for issuing a Sec 21.
          A landlord does not need any reason for issuing a Sec 21, let alone a valid one.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Gem233 View Post
            Is there anyway the tenants can take him to court for issuing a S21?
            Does a landlord need a valid reason to do this.
            A s.21 notice is a statutory notice, served by a landlord on an AST tenant, when the LL wishes to apply for possession. It should be obvious that the tenant cannot claim against a LL for serving a notice which statute requires the LL to serve.

The T may, however, defend the LL's application for possession if he has cause to believe that the s.21 notice is invalid or defective.

The LL does not need to give any reason why he is applying for possession. If his notice is valid, the court will make a possession order.

Comment

I suspect LL is fobbing you off and doesn't want to evict them.
              I'm a good tenant with great landlords
              I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Is the next door property an HMO?

Comment

If the neighbours are acting in an anti-social manner creating excessive noise then you need to contact the Environmental Health department and report the noise polution. This will start official procedings that the neighbouring LL cannot ignore.
                  There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                    by Yorkie2020
                    Guess I've been very lucky this time. My niece has informed her partner that she is ending the tenancy and signing up for a new one in her name only and he is ok with it. She did point out that he will no longer be responsible for any more rent or bills when it's totally in her name.
                    JPkeats,...
                    27-10-2021, 02:02 AM
                  • Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
                    by Yorkie2020
                    Good evening all,

I wonder if I could get some advice on ending an AST tenancy in England.

Originally a 6 month AST last Sept between my niece and her partner, I foolishly listed both on the AST as joint tenants and didn't list him as a permitted, there was no deposit paid....
                    20-10-2021, 19:44 PM
                  • Reply to Increasing rent
                    by jpkeates
                    There may be something on the NRLA website, but I don't know of a standard template.

To be honest that clause doesn't seem to help you a lot, it stops you using a s13 notice (I'd wrongly assumed that because it said "may" you'd be able to) but doesn't actually help you with an...
                    26-10-2021, 17:37 PM
                  • Increasing rent
                    by Berlingogirl
                    Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
                    My tenancy agreement says
                    “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
                    Is there a specific form I should use?...
                    26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
                    by Berlingogirl
                    Thanks jpkeates, I looked at the form 13 but that’s for if you don’t have anything in your tenancy agreement with regard to a rent increase. Is there a pro forma for a rent increase if there is a condition in your TA?
                    26-10-2021, 17:05 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    If the tenancy is now an SPT, and you want to be ever so formal (and impose the increase without any agreement), search for form 13 (which is called something else on the government's tenancy forms page).

Otherwise, you just need to get the tenant to agree and start paying the new rent...
                    26-10-2021, 13:58 PM
                  • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                    by jpkeates
                    It is quite likely that the 2 additional months might be seen as a deposit, unless the tenancy agreement is very specific about the initial payment being for months 1, 5 and 6.

If it is a deposit, you won't be able to use a s21 notice without returning it and the deposit will be unlawful...
                    26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
                  • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
                    by Shorif908
                    Hi All,

I have recently had new tenants move in.
                    the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
                    26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
                    by Lesney Park
                    BUT to answer your question, yes the 3 months very much look like an unlawful deposit, being for a non-defined period (the last 3 months of a tenancy). If it is for a specific 3 months, its a bit lesss grey but then I'm wondering what you hope to achieve...
                    26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
                    by Lesney Park
                    Never been shown previously

Are you still using the same letting agents, did they come up with this "payment plan"?...
                    26-10-2021, 08:33 AM
                  Working...
                  X