Bathroom equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathroom equipment

Right looking for some advice as my father and I are both Landlords and have different properties we are renting out.
    This is asked on behalf of my father:

My father (Landlord) has tenants for one of his properties, they asked 2 years ago weather or not they could get a shower and a new bath for them to use in the rented property.
    My father agreed and both side agreed to paid 50/50, well the agreement was the tenats would buy the shower and the bath and my father would pay for installing the shower and bath by professional which came to about 50/50 for both parties.
    All went well until they came to the end of their tenancy and now want to take the bath and shower units with them. We have said this is part of the property and will not be moved from the property.

They are claiming it is their property and they have proof with invoices etc from the company they brought it from.

We do we stand? is it their property?

The LL can require Ts to reinstate bathroom to its original state at Ts expense, unless there is written confirmation of the 50:50 agreement IMO. This would include bath of similar quality.

Comment

JUst to make it clear, it was my father(LL) who installed the bath and the shower and took out the old bath and shower and took then to the dump.

The tenants are saying he took it out and installed their bath and shower which he did but thought it would be left in at the end of the tenancy nothing was ever written down. The tenants are say they are just taking what legally theirs.

Comment

Reimburse them their costs. That is what I guess they want.

Comment

Seems a strange one. They have had the benefit of the use in the property and the added value of the bathroom suit was probably disregarded.

If it were a commercial property the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927 would state that the tenant were allowed compensation to the lesser of the increased value on the market value of the property or the reasonable costs for carrying out the work less fair wear and tear.

What does the agreement state about situations like this?

I think its a simple case of having a deal. Plainly there is cost involved in them removing the items, so it has to be in both parties interests to resolve this amicably.
          [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Did you have experience with section 8 counterclaim?
            by theartfullodger
            Was counterclaim on basis of repairs tenants claim are required, please?
            04-12-2021, 14:03 PM
          • Did you have experience with section 8 counterclaim?
            by Murielle
            Another difficult landlord situation: tenants had rent arrears. We served both section 8 and 21. Just before hearing for possession on section 8 grounds, they paid enough arrears to have it squashed ( still 1 month behind) but used a lawyer to put forward a counterclaim and date for trial is expected...
            03-12-2021, 21:59 PM
          • Reply to My legal rights about an Inspection
            by DPT57
            I dont really see the problem here. The landlord may be acting a bit dogmatically, but their request is basically reasonable. Landlords enter tenanted properties for inspection without the tenant present all the time. What are you concerned will happen?
            04-12-2021, 14:03 PM
          • My legal rights about an Inspection
            by thegypsyking
            Hi all, I am a tenant who s on a Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The agreement is for 6 months, i have already made an upfront payment for 6 months. Its been couple of months since i moved. My landlord wants to inspect to the flat next week by surveyors, but without me being involved. He wrote me that due...
            03-12-2021, 23:53 PM
          • Reply to Did you have experience with section 8 counterclaim?
            by DPT57
            Paying arrears has to be a win of sorts. What is the basis of their counterclaim? Does it have any merit?

The retaliatory eviction legislation is very specific and the tenant has to have told you about any disrepair in writing prior to the s21 notice and the Council has to serve a category...
            04-12-2021, 13:46 PM
          • Reply to help please...
            by john19
            Thank you very much for your reply and all make sense, after reading here on this forum and on the net over the last few days; what I have learnt is do as much as you can to cover yourself just incase you need to issue a section 8 or section 21 notice.

Not sure I'm going over the top but...
            04-12-2021, 13:16 PM
          • help please...
            by john19
            Hi all,

I have an estate agent collecting rent for me on a few properties (there not doing anything else, the tenants call me direct with any issues) and i am about to take this on myself to save the fees, the estate agents have agreed to this and have agreed to redo the tenancy agreement...
            04-12-2021, 09:58 AM
            by jpkeates
            I would, just on the belt and braces basis.

The issue will be that your new tenancy will be a follow on or replacement tenancy and the prescribed information relating to the deposit has a deadline relating to the original receipt of the deposit.
            You'd ideally want some evidence that...
            04-12-2021, 12:58 PM
            by john19
            Hi Ash

Thank you very much for your reply and i am getting this sent over to the dps account i have set up the estate agents told me to do this....
            04-12-2021, 12:52 PM
            by john19
            Thank you for your time and reply very grateful.

If the tenancy agreement had to be changed would i need to issue all these documents again and if i don't get proof of service from the estate agents should i issue them again?

Thank you for your help......
            04-12-2021, 12:50 PM
          Working...
          X