Bathroom equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathroom equipment

Right looking for some advice as my father and I are both Landlords and have different properties we are renting out.
    This is asked on behalf of my father:

My father (Landlord) has tenants for one of his properties, they asked 2 years ago weather or not they could get a shower and a new bath for them to use in the rented property.
    My father agreed and both side agreed to paid 50/50, well the agreement was the tenats would buy the shower and the bath and my father would pay for installing the shower and bath by professional which came to about 50/50 for both parties.
    All went well until they came to the end of their tenancy and now want to take the bath and shower units with them. We have said this is part of the property and will not be moved from the property.

They are claiming it is their property and they have proof with invoices etc from the company they brought it from.

We do we stand? is it their property?

The LL can require Ts to reinstate bathroom to its original state at Ts expense, unless there is written confirmation of the 50:50 agreement IMO. This would include bath of similar quality.

Comment

JUst to make it clear, it was my father(LL) who installed the bath and the shower and took out the old bath and shower and took then to the dump.

The tenants are saying he took it out and installed their bath and shower which he did but thought it would be left in at the end of the tenancy nothing was ever written down. The tenants are say they are just taking what legally theirs.

Comment

Reimburse them their costs. That is what I guess they want.

Comment

Seems a strange one. They have had the benefit of the use in the property and the added value of the bathroom suit was probably disregarded.

If it were a commercial property the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927 would state that the tenant were allowed compensation to the lesser of the increased value on the market value of the property or the reasonable costs for carrying out the work less fair wear and tear.

What does the agreement state about situations like this?

I think its a simple case of having a deal. Plainly there is cost involved in them removing the items, so it has to be in both parties interests to resolve this amicably.
          [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
            by DoricPixie
            In the opening post you said there was 6 month fixed term AST with both your niece and her now-ex-partner named as joint tenants. Now you are saying there was never a tenancy agreement drawn up.

With the benefit of hindsight it would have been better if you'd had your niece pay money into...
            27-10-2021, 06:33 AM
          • Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
            by Yorkie2020
            Good evening all,

I wonder if I could get some advice on ending an AST tenancy in England.

Originally a 6 month AST last Sept between my niece and her partner, I foolishly listed both on the AST as joint tenants and didn't list him as a permitted, there was no deposit paid....
            20-10-2021, 19:44 PM
          • Reply to Joint tenancy agreement, 1 tenant has already moved out
            by Yorkie2020
            Guess I've been very lucky this time. My niece has informed her partner that she is ending the tenancy and signing up for a new one in her name only and he is ok with it. She did point out that he will no longer be responsible for any more rent or bills when it's totally in her name.
            JPkeats,...
            27-10-2021, 02:02 AM
          • Reply to Increasing rent
            by jpkeates
            There may be something on the NRLA website, but I don't know of a standard template.

To be honest that clause doesn't seem to help you a lot, it stops you using a s13 notice (I'd wrongly assumed that because it said "may" you'd be able to) but doesn't actually help you with an...
            26-10-2021, 17:37 PM
          • Increasing rent
            by Berlingogirl
            Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
            My tenancy agreement says
            “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
            Is there a specific form I should use?...
            26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
            by Berlingogirl
            Thanks jpkeates, I looked at the form 13 but that’s for if you don’t have anything in your tenancy agreement with regard to a rent increase. Is there a pro forma for a rent increase if there is a condition in your TA?
            26-10-2021, 17:05 PM
            by jpkeates
            If the tenancy is now an SPT, and you want to be ever so formal (and impose the increase without any agreement), search for form 13 (which is called something else on the government's tenancy forms page).

Otherwise, you just need to get the tenant to agree and start paying the new rent...
            26-10-2021, 13:58 PM
          • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
            by jpkeates
            It is quite likely that the 2 additional months might be seen as a deposit, unless the tenancy agreement is very specific about the initial payment being for months 1, 5 and 6.

If it is a deposit, you won't be able to use a s21 notice without returning it and the deposit will be unlawful...
            26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
          • Advanced rent and S21 Notices
            by Shorif908
            Hi All,

I have recently had new tenants move in.
            the estate agent did the whole thing and put them in.

The arrangement with rent payments was this. 6 months AST Tennants pay last 3 months rent in advance and then make 3 monthly payments in advance. Ie start of the month....
            26-10-2021, 08:06 AM
          • Reply to Advanced rent and S21 Notices
            by Lesney Park
            BUT to answer your question, yes the 3 months very much look like an unlawful deposit, being for a non-defined period (the last 3 months of a tenancy). If it is for a specific 3 months, its a bit lesss grey but then I'm wondering what you hope to achieve...
            26-10-2021, 08:35 AM
          Working...
          X