Electrical certificate for 5yr old flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical certificate for 5yr old flat

I bought a brand new flat just 5 years ago, I've not had to do any repairs to it so far.

I appointed a new lettings agent last month, they have now contacted me to request the electrical certificate.

I might be wrong of course but I thought the initial build automatically covered this until the place was ten years old.

I have been through the pile of paperwork from the builder and the only thing I can see is the guarantee given on new builds (10 years)

The agent is also trying to tell me I need a new part P every five years, that is not my understanding, my leccy that did a rewire for me a couple of months ago certified that place for 10 years.

(sorry, I'm wittering) any advice please, links to the particular legislation would be a bonus.

TIA
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Tell agent that electrical certificates aren't required for letting at all unless it's an HMO.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Its not a legal requirement but a lot of agents ask for them especially I gather as some of the agent associations make it a condition of membership.

Comment

It's not a legal requirement but who knows, maybe they will make it like Corgi gas safety with annual checks. Agents offer it and some do have them done for the assurance.

If it's all newly done for you just check all the plugs work and leave it at that. You don't need it unless it is for HMO.

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
          I bought a brand new flat just 5 years ago, I've not had to do any repairs to it so far.

I appointed a new lettings agent last month, they have now contacted me to request the electrical certificate.

I might be wrong of course but I thought the initial build automatically covered this until the place was ten years old.

I have been through the pile of paperwork from the builder and the only thing I can see is the guarantee given on new builds (10 years)

The agent is also trying to tell me I need a new part P every five years, that is not my understanding, my leccy that did a rewire for me a couple of months ago certified that place for 10 years.

(sorry, I'm wittering) any advice please, links to the particular legislation would be a bonus.

TIA
          As this seems to be a common question and you obviously know how to search and follow the links at the bottom of the page (some of which you have knowledgeably contributed to),
          -I come to the conclusion that it's me that doesn't understand the question.

Can you try rephrasing it?

Comment

I thought I knew the answer to it, the problem seems to be with the agent wanting it and not knowing it is not a legal requirement anyway. I'll be speaking to them this pm and again I will try to educate them. The thing I would really like to find is any legislation supporting my view.

Comment

I thought I knew the answer to it, the problem seems to be with the agent wanting it and not knowing it is not a legal requirement anyway. I'll be speaking to them this pm and again I will try to educate them. The thing I would really like to find is any legislation supporting my view.
              It's hard to find legislation to prove a negative.
              Have they said that legislation require it, or just them?
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
                It's hard to find legislation to prove a negative.
                Indeed...
                The agent is also trying to tell me I need a new part P every five years
                Is that what they actually said, or are you just paraphrasing? Because "a new Part P" is totally meaningless...

Comment

Hang on, do you mean the energy performance certificate (EPC)? If so they are valid for 10 years, sounds more like what they've asked for.
                  <a href="http://www.manchesterpropertygroup.co.uk/" target="_blank">Manchester letting agents</a>

Comment

No it's not the EPC they're after.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                      Is that what they actually said, or are you just paraphrasing? Because "a new Part P" is totally meaningless...
                      Why Eric, I thought a new inspection certificate is a 'new Part P'

Comment

The ususal request is for a periodic electrical inspection report.
                        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

OK Ta for that.

Comment

Why Eric, I thought a new inspection certificate is a 'new Part P'
                            Well, the entity which is "Part P" can be found here!

Comment

Thanks Eric. I see what you mean.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X