Water Meter Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Meter Issue

A friend recently moved into a property (not new build) with his family and found out the previous tenant had a water meter fitted and did not cancel within 12 months as per the terms.

His bills are 3x higher on average and was wondering if there is anyway out of this since he was not party to original contract. Is there some way to get his home back on rateable value, he doesn't mind moving companies either.

Originally posted by Handson View Post
    Is there some way to get his home back on rateable value, he doesn't mind moving companies either.
    Not a chance.
    The water co's (supported by government) are doing their damndest to get everyone on to meters; I expect that ultimately the last few properties around which have evaded meters will end up being forced into it.

If your friend's bills are outlandishly high it may well be that there's a leak somewhere - has he tried taking readings over a period of time when nobody's in the property (even overnight, maybe?)

Comment

Are they billing him for actual water used, or adding on arrears left by a previous tenant?

Has your friend checked for leaks? Switch off every tap etc in the property and check whether meter is moving - watch it carefully for atleast 5 minutes, as even a very minor leak over a long period can use significant amounts of water.

Other than this, they might have to ration water usage to get bills down. Fit "Hippos" in each toilet cistern - of not the genuine ones, fill small pop bottles with water and drop them into each cistern to reduce amount of water used in each flush.

Shower instead of bathing. Don't run taps when brushing teeth. Check washing machine for an economy setting to reduce amount of water it takes in. Save up for full loads instead of washing frequent smaller ones.

As above, once meter is fitted, you cannot revert to rateable. I am fairly sure you cannot change companies, as you are stuck with the regional supplier in each area. TBH, you are paying for what you use, and this is much fairer to everyone!

Comment

Granted there is full house of people and a higher bill is expected under this arrangement. At rateable value he would be pay 350-400 max. Here they are looking at close to 1000 p/a. A water meter does not suit families.

Are there not any scenarios where companies have allowed the meter to stay installed, but not used it for billing?

Comment

A water meter does not suit families.
          This is the old poll tax argument I'm afraid; it doesn't suit families because single people and couples, who generally use less water, were covering part of your usage under the rateable value system. Metered water is infinitely fairer to all; you pay for what you use and have the chance to reduce your bill by reducing your usage - simples!

Do check for leaks as advised, but before you do that check with the water supplier that your billing amount is correct for the size of your family; they may just be billing you based on the average usage of the previous occupants.
          My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Are there not any scenarios where companies have allowed the meter to stay installed, but not used it for billing?
            Not as far as I am aware, I'd be amazed if there was.
            My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

No water meter for me, so I'm one of the people paying a premium (Me and my partner) and no sewerage (septic tank). I prefer to pay marginally more because its a certain amount and don't have to overly worry if I get a leak etc!!
              [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

Originally posted by MrJohnnyB View Post
                No water meter for me, so I'm one of the people paying a premium (Me and my partner) and no sewerage (septic tank). I prefer to pay marginally more because its a certain amount and don't have to overly worry if I get a leak etc!!
                I agree. I would rather pay a little more that is fixed sum and know what I'm paying than these fluctuating bills a meter would give to bigger household.

My friend is a bit stressed about it. He is used to rateable so got the shock of his life on this new system. Given it was not a new build for which it is mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by LesleyAnne View Post

As above, once meter is fitted, you cannot revert to rateable. I am fairly sure you cannot change companies, as you are stuck with the regional supplier in each area. TBH, you are paying for what you use, and this is much fairer to everyone!
                  It might sound fairer for something that you won't use often. For something as important as this it makes no sense. It's the age old telephone argument - pay for what you use or pay a flat rate line rental and use as much or as little. I suspect overall it would work out cheaper for all customers on the latter. We are where we are now and this is system that will be increasingly used.

Comment

Check your docs to make sure anything isn't now out of date.

Also they should consider reducing usae via eg Water Butts.

ML
                    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deposit Schemes
                      by Beswick
                      I prefer my tenants to have paid a deposit. It gives them an investment in the condition of the property when they hand it back to me, and an incentive of the lump sum back if it's in good condition. If there's nothing to lose, I think they'd be less likely to care as much about how it is they hand...
                      29-11-2021, 08:38 AM
                    • Deposit Schemes
                      by CharlesT
                      Apologies if this has been covered before. Have landlords on here had any negative experiences with the so called 0 deposit schemes whereby prospective tenants pay only one week's rent as a premium to a third party provider, the latter being responsible for compensating the landlord in the event of...
                      28-11-2021, 17:04 PM
                    • Reply to Repairs done on the managed property
                      by Hudson01
                      As said above, they do everything as you would want them to do given you are thousands of miles away, but if you do ask them to use your tradespeople and they are not able to come quickly, then what ? It sometimes is best just to let them get on with it, but picking the right agency is very important,...
                      29-11-2021, 08:36 AM
                    • Repairs done on the managed property
                      by orange_cat
                      Hi everyone,

A new landlady here, so please excuse newbie (and probably dumb) questions.

Due to pandemic, my family and I temporarily reallocated outside the UK and we want to let our property while we are away.
                      We have decided to use a letting agency to advertise, find...
                      29-11-2021, 08:12 AM
                    • Reply to Repairs done on the managed property
                      by ash72
                      Usually if you have given the property to full manage, then that's what they should do, and they should have a limit before they need authorisation from you above a certain amount, usually £250- £300 anything below this they don't need to bother you. If you have your own trusted tradesperson then...
                      29-11-2021, 08:18 AM
                    • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                      by Interlaken
                      I think I'd be nosey and look at the Land Registry to see who the owner of the house is. That's not your question I know Bertie. Agree with the others - what worked for you originally is not working now so maybe time to move on.
                      29-11-2021, 08:01 AM
                    • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                      by Bert1e
                      Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
                      28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
                    • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
                      by Perce
                      I don’t understand why to create all these problems for Sara and yourself when it is obvious that you need to move.

I am sure that tenants/lodgers who are unable to find the easiest solution to the problem but just create more will fail in all areas of their life....
                      28-11-2021, 23:28 PM
                    • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                      by Ted.E.Bear
                      It obviously looks dodgy to lots of people. A court might believe that this is a sham agreement.
                      https://www.legalforlandlords.co.uk/...-means-prison/
                      Getting it wrong can have serious consequences, particularly if you really do plan to creep up behind him and just lock him out.
                      28-11-2021, 22:55 PM
                    • Reply to Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
                      by bob369
                      Various cases have ruled not.
                      Can you point these to me please.

If the tenant has a self contained flat in the building, then I believe the "lodgers" will not be licensees
                      Why does the property being a 'self contained flat' make the lodger not a licencee, why is a...
                      28-11-2021, 19:57 PM
                    Working...
                    X