Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utility notification when tenant leaves

Please Please Please help.
    When a tenant moves & you change utilities into their names you have to go through the long winded process of phoning B/Gas Elec Etc. Is there a quicker way ????????? Email Fax etc

I have the fax numbers for most but not all utility suppliers, alternatively have a look at iammoving.com/.co.uk (can't remember which) Hope that helps.
    Last edited by samantha1609; 14-02-2007, 14:08 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Notifying utility suppliers

Mail merge (word & excel) and the Royal Mail work a treat.

Comment

Why do you do the work? Tenant moves in, they take responsibility for utilities.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWoof View Post
          Why do you do the work? Tenant moves in, they take responsibility for utilities.
          Yes.... but I still make sure I contact the utility co's myself at every change of tenant and provide dates, meter readings and names just to cover my back.

It's perfectly possible for tenants to come and go without even notifying the companies concerned - it's happened to me, and I don't want the risk of being chased for unpaid accounts: I know that shouldn't happen but for the effort of making three phone calls per change of tenancy it's hardly worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
            Yes.... but I still make sure I contact the utility co's myself at every change of tenant and provide dates, meter readings and names just to cover my back.

It's perfectly possible for tenants to come and go without even notifying the companies concerned - it's happened to me, and I don't want the risk of being chased for unpaid accounts: I know that shouldn't happen but for the effort of making three phone calls per change of tenancy it's hardly worth it.
            What Eric said, quoted for truth!

Comment

In my experience you can't even trust the utility companies to get it right even when you do as Eric says. Be sure to keep a record of the telephone calls made and the meter readings provided with the dates they were taken! Also, it's worth asking for the name of the person you spoke to.

I've got a problem to sort at the moment whereby I telephoned a certain electriciy supplier around January 10th when my daughter and her boyfriend split up. The utilities were in his name and he was leaving the property and so my daughter is taking responsibility. As landlady (& mother) I telephoned the supplier with a meter reading taken on January 10th.

My daughter and boyfriend have since got back together (though not living together) and he has received his 'final' bill. The company says he owes them £334! Given it is a prepayment meter they have I can not understand how that figure has materialised!!! I have checked the bill and the reading is HIGHER than the meter reads this week (a month after the actual reading was taken)!!! They have overestimated the bill by in excess of £100!!! The bill also states that the 'final reading' is from 6th December (i phoned with a reading taken on 10th January) so the bill is total rubbish!!!

I know I've got to phone to sort it out but I keep dreading the process because it takes half a day to deal with just trying to get to speak to a human being and then another half day to get through to a human in the right department!

I will be implementing a little black book from now on!!! I intend to keep all my future readings together for ease of reference!

Had this been a defaulting tenant (or even a good tenant that had vacated happily) I would probably never have known about the bill and certainly couldn't do anything about it being corrected!

Regards

J

Comment

We are in battle with British Gas, they are trying to sue us for money we do not owe them! We have told them they need to contact Scottish Power for the money owed (there was a mix up with pre paymenrt cards about 2 years ago) But they will not do that and Scottish Power say they cant refund us to pay British Gas so hey ho we are stuck! We have just let BG get on with it and will be happy to go to court andtell the judge what idiots these two comapnies are being! There is even money owed to us once the mess has been cleared up!
                GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Gas is a great one! We were referred to a debt collection agency for an N Power gas bill for over £300 for a period when a property was actually under renovation and no gas could possibly have been used. There wasn't even gas central heating in the place! At the time of renovation (when the bill was incurred) there was no central heating, no gas fire and no kitchen (so no gas hob) and yet we used £300 of gas!!! HOW???

J

Comment

Ummmmmmmm

Sorry, but to state the obvious....

Write a letter whenever you take responsibility for the bills, or hand over responsibility for the bills to your tenant. Keep a copy. If queried, just refer to your letter.

'phoning is probably easier for the utility companies, but makes it harder for you to prove what you've done.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Claiming for protected deposit
                      mandm
                      This is an interesting one, got me into a spin.
                      Tenants signed AST but decided to leave after 6 months and 3 days (problem with moving) using the break clause in the AST. I protected the deposit using DPS (Insured) and returned the deposit minus deductions when the moved out.
                      I served the...
                      21-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                    • Reply to Claiming for protected deposit
                      mariner
                      It was the situation predicted by some Judges et al when it was first proposed that the full Penalty would be awarded to the T and not the Exchequer.
                      22-07-2017, 01:16 AM
                      JK0
                      I agree. It's almost at the level of scandal as the people claiming cash by pretending they were ill on holiday. In that case, the Spanish Hotels have told tour operators they won't be doing all inclusive holidays any more.

Therefore, I suggest landlords take a page out of their book, and...
                      21-07-2017, 22:22 PM
                      mandm
                      Letter sent with the evidence attached.
                      Slightly off topic, it seems there this deposit protection appears to have gathered conflicting views.
                      I would have thought that the purpose of the legislation was the protection of T's money, which most law-abiding landlords do but it seems that its...
                      21-07-2017, 21:20 PM
                    • Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
                      Pickle135
                      Our tenancy has just ended. We have cleaned the property from top to bottom using professional cleaners to do this and clean the carpets. He suggested this hadn't been done and wanted the name of our contractor to check which we gave him. The contractor assured him that after eight years the carpets...
                      08-03-2017, 00:45 AM
                    • Reply to Landlord threatening to sue after end of tenancy
                      Pickle135
                      Woohoo!

Our adjudication has just come through and the landlord has been given a token payment with the majority of our large deposit being returned to us. He was told that he had not submitted appropriate evidence for the misuse of the property and that things he was saying were wrong...
                      21-07-2017, 20:49 PM
                    • Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                      scooter08
                      Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
                      England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
                      AST

Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
                      12/04/2015
                      21-07-2017, 15:06 PM
                    • Reply to Deposit at the end of AST. Also, quiet enjoyment.
                      scooter08
                      Thanks for the reply jp....
                      21-07-2017, 18:32 PM
                      jpkeates
                      Makes sense - if the tenancy agreement doesn't say you have to let him and a surveyor in, his only right of access is with 24 hours written notice for the purpose of viewing the "condition and state of repair" of the property.

So you can simply decline or make your point.
                      21-07-2017, 18:23 PM
                      scooter08
                      I'm not trying to claim for breach of quiet enjoyment. He wants to be in again with a surveyor to use his property as security for something. I am going to let him I just want to remind him and have all the facts. Sorry if I didn't explain it right.

Only claiming for the non protection...
                      21-07-2017, 18:08 PM
                    Working...
                    X