Gas safety clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas safety clarification

I had a tenant mutually leave after a couple of weeks due to a dispute with a neighbour.

I arranged a new gas safety certificate when she moved in.

Do I need a new gas safety certificate when a new tenant moves in, or is the previous one still valid as it hasn't expired (only about a month old)?

Just wanted clarification as I've received conflicting advice.

Thanks for your help.

The current one is valid for 12 months irrespective of a new tenant moving. There are some engineers who are advising that a new Gas Safety Record is required but there is nothing in the legislation which confirms that theory.

Just to confirm it is Gas Safety Record and not certificate. All the appliances could fail in the property and you would still have a valid gas safety record.

Comment

Originally posted by ngriffiths View Post
      Do I need a new gas safety certificate when a new tenant moves in, or is the previous one still valid as it hasn't expired (only about a month old)?
      The previous one is still valid - get it from the horse's mouth here.

It's quite common for agents to insist on a new gas certificate upon change of tenant, in the same way they insist on electrical safety checks (neither of which are legally required), which covers them I suppose... fine provided they make it clear it's their own policy (and that the landlord is free to go to another agent if they don't like it) rather than try to claim it's enshrined in law.

I think the old CORGI site used to 'recommend' gas checks on change of tenant, but I can't see anything on the Gas Safe site about that now.

You're certainly still responsible for the gas safety of your tenants, and if you've any reason at all to believe there might be a problem, eg caused by the previous tenant doing something daft, then you'd certainly be well advised to get things checked before the new tenant moves in.

Comment

HSE website says:

What checks should be done between tenancies?
        You must visually check the property to see if the departing tenant has either removed appliances unsafely, or alternatively left behind their own appliance, which should either be removed or checked for safety by a Gas Safe registered engineer . The opportunity should be taken to clarify appliance ownership prior to renting the property again.

If you suspect that an appliance could have been tampered with, or there is the possibility of vandalism while a property remains empty, then HSE recommends you arrange for another gas safety check to be completed by a Gas Safe registered engineer before giving access to new tenants.

Before you re-let the property you need to ensure that all appliances are safe and have an up to date landlord's gas safety record (a copy of which needs to be given to the new tenant); it is also good practice to arrange for the pipework to be inspected and tested for soundness.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Increasing rent
          by Hooper
          I think the clause is probably invalid.

https://painsmith.co.uk/rent-increas...dic-tenancies/

This only applies if it is an SPT, rather than a CPT....
          27-10-2021, 10:13 AM
        • Increasing rent
          by Berlingogirl
          Tenancy start date May 2020 in England. 6 month initial AST.
          My tenancy agreement says
          “The landlord may increase the rent after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy…..”
          Is there a specific form I should use?...
          26-10-2021, 13:33 PM
          by jpkeates
          I think the clause persists into any SPT, any date in the future is now "after the first 52 weeks of the tenancy".

Unless the other wording of the agreement changes the meaning of this snippet, the clause simply precludes the rent being increased between the end of the initial...
          27-10-2021, 10:05 AM
          by Hooper
          If the fixed term has ended and it is now SPT, is it not the case that the rent review clause is of no effect and you can use s13?

Or is yours a contractual periodic tenancy?
          27-10-2021, 09:52 AM
        • Reply to Loft conversion building regs
          by Hudson01
          I would not walk away.... i would run away ! Not a hope would i buy a property where there was zero building regs on something that should of had them, as said.... what other bodge jobs have been done. Not a chance.
          27-10-2021, 09:28 AM
        • Loft conversion building regs
          by Handy21
          Hi guys this might have already been covered before but I’m currently purchasing a 3 bed house and near completion our solicitor has managed to find out they don’t have building regs for the 3rd bedroom (loft conversion). My question is can I let this as a 3 bedroom or is it legally only a 2 bedroom,...
          27-10-2021, 07:16 AM
          by jpkeates
          Ah.

They won't agree the increase, so it's more of a point being made....
          27-10-2021, 09:27 AM
          by Berlingogirl
          Thanks again. I think I’ll have to just write to them informing them of the increase. They’re under s21 and s8 for rent arrears. They decided to deduct from the rent , the cost of a repair bill to which I did not agree....
          27-10-2021, 09:24 AM
          by jpkeates
          Unless the seller did their own conversion, any builder would have been aware of building regulation requirements, and so the seller would have been aware of the issue.
          I'd guess that they either very naively thought no one would notice (unlikely) or hoped you'd be so far into the process that...
          27-10-2021, 09:15 AM
          by Handy21
          Yes I was thinking they’ve left it so late on in the process in the hopes that when I found out I’d not bother backing out, the estate agents are trying to convince me that it would be fine to let out as a 3 bedroom but I have contacted other letting agents that have said it wouldn’t be allowed...
          27-10-2021, 09:03 AM
        Working...
        X