Tenant left without paying rent or bills.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant left without paying rent or bills.

Hi,

Im asking for information for my dad.

He let an apartment to a couple from Ireland. They had a 12 month contract and left 10 months in. They owed 2 months rent, but we have a deposit of one months rent. We got the property back in better condition than we let it in.

We believe they went back to Ireland, but we are not sure. Is there even any point in chasing the, to try get the money owed.

They also did not pay any of their bills. (Electricity, Gas, Water, TV, Broadband) Will those companies chase them for the bills (also about 2 months worth)

Thanks

Originally posted by Dillo View Post
    We believe they went back to Ireland, but we are not sure. Is there even any point in chasing the, to try get the money owed.
    Well for a start, were they from north or south of the border? If from the south, then recovering the money will be a different ball game as that's a different country. I believe there are ways and means of doing it via EU law, but I assume it will be much easier if they are from Northern Ireland.
    They also did not pay any of their bills. (Electricity, Gas, Water, TV, Broadband) Will those companies chase them for the bills (also about 2 months worth)
    Were the accounts transferred into the tenant's names at the start of the tenancy, and did you hand over meter readings to the companies? If so, contact the companies now and have the accounts transferred back to your names as of move-out day, and give them the new readings as of that day. If not - then you may struggle...

By the way - have the tenants definitely and unarguably left? ie, have they formally notified you and returned keys or have they just done a bunk? Because if you're just assuming they've gone, be aware that there's a risk they could be 'professional tenants' and could come back, claim they hadn't left at all, and sue the pants of you for illegal eviction.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
      Well for a start, were they from north or south of the border? If from the south, then recovering the money will be a different ball game as that's a different country. I believe there are ways and means of doing it via EU law, but I assume it will be much easier if they are from Northern Ireland.
      Were the accounts transferred into the tenant's names at the start of the tenancy, and did you hand over meter readings to the companies? If so, contact the companies now and have the accounts transferred back to your names as of move-out day, and give them the new readings as of that day. If not - then you may struggle...

By the way - have the tenants definitely and unarguably left? ie, have they formally notified you and returned keys or have they just done a bunk? Because if you're just assuming they've gone, be aware that there's a risk they could be 'professional tenants' and could come back, claim they hadn't left at all, and sue the pants of you for illegal eviction.
      They were from the south. Yes, they definitely left. They posted the keys to us.

The accounts were transfered into the tenants name. I know that I am not liable for them, but I would like to know that they tracked the tenants down and made them pay.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X