Shelters Rogue Landlords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shelters Rogue Landlords

I am currently doing a dissertation on the Landlord and tenant relationship in the Private Rented Sector.

I have just come across a page detailing "Rogue Landlords" on shelter.

I was wondering if there is an equivalent for "rogue tenants" as this rogue landlords page is another example of what seems to make the issue be quite one sided. I do appreciate that many landlords do not follow the rules but I have felt the majority of academia is greatly demonising to the landlord and much in favour of the "poor tenant".

I was wondering what your views are on this matter? what can landlords do to protect themselves, or is it just luck?

What is your relationship like with your tenants? If you are a landlord what are your views on policy at the moment? have you had issues with the eviction process in practice, as it is portrayed as so very straight forward on paper?
    Never had any disagreements/problems
    14.29%
    Had some minor problems i.e. general condition of the property was fairly poor
    0.00%
    Have had many problems with condition of property and tenants causing a nuisance
    0.00%
    Have had problems so bad I have had to evict tenants
    85.71%

Define 'problems'

Eg, I've never had any problem at all with tenants causing damage or being a nuisance; the only issues I've ever had have been ceasing to pay rent; and in those cases going for eviction has been a no-brainer.

Comment

There are far more bad tenants than bad landlords. Unfortunately, bad landlords usually end up making a reasonable amount of money from their activities.
      There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Sorry, I mean problems as in anything which would be a ground to evict them i.e. grounds for possession which are the fault of the tenant such as rent arrears, nuisance, and them not fulfilling their obligations or breaching contract, i.e. using the property for immoral purposes (growing cannabis etc.).

At the moment I seem to be heading to the conclusion that more regulation or perhaps, a more softer approach by way of incentives for landlords is needed, but also that greater emphasis should be put on becoming a member of a landlords organisation such this, which can provide support. Especially for the one off or hobby landlord? what are the thoughts here?

Many academic papers also emphasise that the PRS condition of housing is poorer than the social sector? do PRS landlords have little incentive financially to improve conditions (because it doesn't significantly impact on rental value) or is this not the case?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X