More Problem Tenants...

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    More Problem Tenants...

    Hi All,

    I've been having difficulty with a tenant (non-payment of rent) and the Agent has given them notice which expires in January. Now, there are a couple of new developments...

    Apparently they're not living at the property atm, and the front door has been left open ...!

    They've had 5 animals living there, against tenancy agreement (and the RSPCA have been to the house).

    I've just heard from the neighbour that rubbish has been dumped in the garden and rats have been seen among it.

    If I have to go in to secure the property by fitting new locks, would I be obliged to supply the tenant with the new keys?

    I know the legal situation is very complex. Can anyone give a pointer to my best course of action?

    Many thanks,

    Hi, i recently asked a very similar question on here so it would be worth looking up that post. If you believe the property has been abandoned and you have to secure the property by fitting new locks you need to make sure you do this for the reason of securing the property and not excluding the tenant. You should leave a note explaining what has happened and a contact number for the tenant to call to gain access. The only way to end the tenancy is by the tenant giving notice, by mutual surrender or a court order for possession. If your tenant has abandoned the property then this is a difficult situation for ending the tenancy. If you can get the tenancy to formally surrender the property you can take back possession of it.

    Otherwise it can be tricky. I would wait until the notice expires and take back possession then and pursue the tenant for rent up until that point if you think it's worth it.


      Issue S8(maybe multiple versions..) G's 8, 10, 11 & 14 and get hearing quite soon: Chances are they won't turn up, you might get possession order quicker than you expect
      I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


        Thank you, Jackboy and Artfullodger.


        Latest Activity