termination of let / alterations / bond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

termination of let / alterations / bond

Morning all, a little advice / feedback would be greatly appreciated if possible:-

we've let our property out in April this year to new tenants, we gave them a six month contract at the outset, no further paperwork was raised at the end of six months, assumed carry on at terms of previous contract. on monday i was contacted by them as they wished to give a months notice, ie, leave mid december.

it is a small terraced house, we took a bond equivalent to 1 months rent at outset. the living room has a feature wall, which was wallpapered and a space where an old firegrate was blocked off by plasterboard. for the 7 years we lived in the property we had a sideboard with ornaments, etc, infront of the feature wall. these are our 2nd tenants, the first ones did something to ourselves. however, we discovered around a month ago that our tenants have installed a wooden surround mantelpiece, small marble like base, with a wall mounted electric fire. its pleasant enough what they've done but they didnt ask our permission to do it.

looking at the terms of tenancy agreement it stated:-
    • Ensure all flooring, kitchen, bathroom, and any other integral fittings are maintained & left in good condition (allowing for an acceptable amount of wear & tear).

the bond states along the lines of, the bond will be returned ... providing the house is returned in no worse condition to which it was let (allowing for acceptable wear and tear).

i will be seeing them at the end of month regards the rent, no mention has been so far made about this wall / work. if the work is left as it is, then i suppose the room is ready for re-let even though i'm a little annoyed that a house i've owned for 9 years has been changed by someone/s who's lived there for less than 9 months.

if they take it all away then i assume i'm within my rights to ask for it to be put back the way it was. as the fixing work i guess will have left hole in the feature wall, and the carpet (if it hasnt been cut) will have been left permanently flattened by the marble (compared with the rest of the carpet).

if they take the fire, but leave the surround and marble, then part of me feels compelled to put a new wallmounted fire there (£70 and upwards) as i dont feel its fair to not give the new tenant the choice whether they would do that, or put furniture infront like we did for 7 years (which with the marble left wouldnt be possible anyway).

any thoughts, sorry to go on so long, needed to get it off me chest :-) thanks

Before we start - this 'bond' is a deposit - so have you protected it?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Was an inventory/schedule of condition carried out at the inception?
      [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

I would make them remove the fire and surround and pay to have the wall re-instated as when they moved in. Take the money from the deposit - which is why I was asking if it was protected.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Hi Both, regards protection of bond, etc, the bond was paid by the tenant with a signed agreement drawn up by myself, same as the tenancy agreement really. i dont use any external parties, i just glean information from sources on line, etc, and draw up what i feel is a reasonable to both parties tenancy agreement, bond receipt, etc. i am fairly new to this and only let one property so am not conversant with bond protection, or any recommended / statutory obligations regards it.

regards inventory / condition, there is no documented evidence regards this, we just agreed for them to let a clean, functional, unfurnished house with carpets. the only explicit clause we put in the contract was 'that only a gas cooker was permitted to be installed in the kitchen due to its existing layout', this they abided by.

the living room was a empty space, papered, painted, and carpeted. no clause was put in the contract regards 'intention to do, or consent required regards alterations' other than the one i quoted in the original post. i guess i should make this more explicit to the next tenants?

thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by happyjack View Post
            i am fairly new to this and only let one property so am not conversant with bond protection, or any recommended / statutory obligations regards it.
            Then I suggest that you read the link below to see the laws that you should be obeying before you find yourself in court.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...2&postcount=12

Comment

thank you, thats given me some food for thought in how i handle this current situation, and regards the future ?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X