Can a landlord 'doorstep' me and prevent my entry to my flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a landlord 'doorstep' me and prevent my entry to my flat?

Hi. Is my landlord, or a landlord's representative allowed to confront me on my doorstep and bar entry to my flat while they, in their own words 'put me straight on a few things'?

I think this is at best the most unprofessional thing I've ever witnessed in 10 years of renting, and at worse harrassment.

I should state that I am not in the middle of an eviction, I am not behind in any rent, and I have never in the past given my landlord any cause to speak to me about my behaviour.

My only 'crime' is that I have decided not to renew my 1-year tenancy agreement (communicated through the proper channels according to my AST) because of excessive noise created by the same landlord removating the flat downstairs over the last three months.

Last night I returned to my flat at 11pm, entered the building, and was a yard away from the door to my flat when I was confronted by a lady who I have never met before but when I enquired claimed to be the 'co-owner of my property'. I presumed her to be the partner of my landlord. They also live in the same building, in a separate flat.

I asked her to move aside, which she refused until, as I say, she'd 'put me straight on a few things'. At that stage I walked away, as I felt that though she wasn't threatening me she was trying to force me into a confrontation and I'm not a confrontational person.

My first thought was to call the police, but as she effectively claimed to be acting on behalf of the landlord I didn't think they'd be particularly interested.

So I left the building (in a complete state of bewilderment) and walked round the block When I got back she was still there, but I got to my front door before she did and locked it behind me.

I have two weeks left to run on my tenancy. Half of me wants to to just put my head down and see out my time, but the other half is completely outraged.

I don't want this to escalate and I certainly don't want to be confronted by this every time I go home, but I'm unsure what to do next.

There is a clause in my contract that states my landlord must "allow the tenant to peacably hold and enjoy the Property during the tenancy without any unlwaful interruption by the landlord or any person rightfully claiming under, though in trust for the landlord."

Is there a way to enforce this? As I say, I'm two weeks away from the end of then tenancy so there isn't much I can do in that regard.

Any advice most gratefully received...

As I understand it, you should always be given at least 24 hours notice of a visit by the landlord or his/her representative. This certainly sounds like harassment to me.Have you any idea what she wanted to talk to you about?

Comment

None at all. I suppose I didn't give her a chance to explain, but then I'm not prepared to listen to people who ambush me outside my front door.

Surely if the landlord had a legitimate grievance then the correct way to handle it is to either call me or put it in writing. I've actually specifically asked him previously to communicate in writing, as I believe it protects both parties.

Is the 24 hours prior warning just best practice or is that a legal thing? Surely if I don't want to speak to them then I can still decline... especially as it was 11pm!

Sorry, don't mean to rant. I've just never experienced anything like this before.

Comment

Also, the landlord does live in the same bulding and there are communal access areas to the flats, so I don't know if that means they have a right to be there more so than a normal off-site landlord.

Comment

if the 'things' she wants to put you right on are of any concern, then they ought to put in writing. next time i think you should see what she wants.if it's just to rant tell her firmly and calmly it's harrassment and you won't stand for it. if it's anything of value to your tenancy ask for them in writing, and make sure she knows you don't appreciate this sort of approach.

Comment

The LL CANNOT enter without your permission. Even if he gives 24 hrs written notice you have a right to say no. If she turns up again tell her its harassment and illegal and you are about to call the Police....(can't promise they will give it any priority but the threat may be enough to make her think twice!)
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

sorry i didn't read your post properly. if she is stopping you entry into your flat then it's straightforward harrassment, and as island girls says, they should give 24hrs notice, whether they live in the same building or not, and even then, i think that's just for essential repairs and inspections, not just for a 'chat'. tell her to put anything she wants to gripe about in a letter. if she and LL are above board they should have no fear of doing this.

Comment

Don't forget to keep a written record of what's happening Whippet. Remember the '5W,H' rule! When? Where? Who? What? Why? and How?

J
                Last edited by Joannepowell; 13-02-2007, 16:24 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

It is always open to you as a tenant to contact your landlord and refer to the 11 p.m. incident and firmly state that you do not wish to encounter a repeat of that and what did the lady want anyway?

Insisting on the landlords putting everything in writing will get you nowhere - I think you need to be a little proactive and find out why your landlords are acting how they are.

This sound a little like a 6 of 1 and half dozen of the other kind of situation and will only be resolved by both parties talking decently at a conveniently mutual time and place to each other.

Comment

Completely without prejudice - are you telling us the whole story? I can't understand why you would be worried about being confronted at your doorstep if you've done nothing wrong? Why did you leg it as soon as she said she wanted to put you straight on a few things? All sounds a bit odd to me...

Comment

Originally posted by janine1271 View Post
                      All sounds a bit odd to me...
                      Mm, me too. Note the bit in the second email:

Originally posted by Whippet View Post
                      I've actually specifically asked him previously to communicate in writing, as I believe it protects both parties.
                      So what's all that about? Unless the LL-tenant relationship has totally gone down the pan, I would find it somewhat bizarre to get that sort of demand from a tenant...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X