Verbal months notice given but final months rent not paid!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verbal months notice given but final months rent not paid!

I am a resident landlord, my tenant verbally gave me a months notice, agreed to clean the room (hasn't been done), extracted a verbal reference from me for their next tenancy, cleared their room and then handed the keys back. No rent for this month has been received. No deposit received at beginning of tenancy because they weren't able to pay.

Monthly rent collected via bank account transfer has always been on time up until now so I have a full record of all monies received.

Any advice on whether I can persue this through the smalls claim court if necessary (and would I win?) would be welcome?

Thanks.

Is it worth it? Has the ex-tenant got funds?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

What did you say to the tenant about the rent when he handed you the keys?
      Do you have a contract?
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Hi thesaint and Interlaken

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated!

1. Funds - I would say yes - regular income and enough income to increase their rent on new property and offer my cleaning lady a job ...

2. Keys - they didn't hand them to me personally but left them behind when they cleared the room for the final time. No contract. I've checked this on the Citizens Advice Bureau website and it says that as I am a resident landlord a contract is not necessary.

I've been trying to contact the tenant via phone, text and email but have had no response in 2 weeks. They've not replied to any of my messages.

Comment

Yes, a contract isn't necessary, but it's a lot easier to go to court with a piece of paper rather than what you will be turning up with.

Do you have an address for the ex-lodger?
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Hi there

OK understood.

Yes I do have an address.

Comment

Who's to say what notice period was required? You did everything verbally, nothing prevents tenant saying that you could give notice a day before you moved out.

Any time or money you spend really will be wasted. Unless you have any documentary proof such as correspondence to state that it was a monthly agreement? If you have nothing in writing, I wouldn't even bother.
              [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

I have email correspondence from the tenant stating the agreed monthly rent and that it is paid by standing order, is this any good?

Comment

Originally posted by mamasita View Post
                  I have email correspondence from the tenant stating the agreed monthly rent and that it is paid by standing order, is this any good?
                  Hi - given that I have the above, can anyone advise if I have enough information to persue via the smalls claim court?

Many thanks.

Comment

IMHO you would have to sue the lodger for breaching the agreement. What agreement would you present in court? The fact that rent was due monthly is irrelevant to a notice period.
                    All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

Is the email with all details not submissable then to the court?

Comment

It says rent is paid monthly... it doesn't say you have to give a months notice? Unless you made an error and you meant to say it says "rent is paid monthly and one months notice is required to terminate the agreement".
                        [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

OK. We had agreed the month notice verbally. It didn't occur to me that I would be let down like this and therefore be out of pocket, so hence nothing in writing regarding a months notice.

It seems that I am a victim of my own good nature (otherwise known as a sucker) but have learnt a lot and will not make this mistake again.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Mice in the flat - what to do?
                            JP23
                            We have had mice for a while now. There's only one or two that we see (we're not overrun) but still, they've left urine stains in our cupboard and behind the skirting it's ridiculously filthy and soiled.

Are we legally able to pay for a cleaner then subtract it from our rent next month...
                            26-07-2017, 06:02 AM
                          • Reply to Mice in the flat - what to do?
                            HantsAgent
                            Great, but you've entirely missed the point I was making.

If someone walked across my front garden and allowed their dog to take a massive dump I'd have more than reasonable grounds to hold them responsible for cleaning it up.

But if they refused or claimed that it wasn't down...
                            21-08-2017, 10:01 AM
                          • NTQ during fixed term?
                            vpltd
                            Hi,
                            Can a LL issue a valid NTQ during the six-month fixed term of an AST agreement?
                            (A residential let in England.)
                            VPL.
                            11-08-2017, 14:53 PM
                          • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                            jpkeates
                            Notice to quit is pretty well defined, "surrender" is not, so while that list looks complete, it is in fact not.

For a tenant to surrender a tenancy, there should be an offer of surrender and the landlord has to accept that offer.

If s21 notice is served and a tenant...
                            21-08-2017, 09:50 AM
                          • End of student tenancy
                            mkgirl
                            Hi

my Daughter shared a house last year with 4 strangers as she didn't get in to halls. It's been a bit of a nightmare as the 2 lads were very disrespectful with regards to cleanliness, having people over and paying towards bills. She came home a lot and i may came home for the summer as...
                            20-08-2017, 17:29 PM
                          • Reply to End of student tenancy
                            jpkeates
                            There's only (legally) one tenant in a joint tenancy ("who" is made up of the five occupants all of whom are liable for all of the obligations of the tenant), so yes, the badly maintaining students will be subsidised by the better behaved students.

The "Lead Tenant"...
                            21-08-2017, 09:17 AM
                          • Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
                            james99
                            Hi,

I rent out a modern / purpose built ground floor flat which I've owned for c15 years and lived in it myself up until the last few years when I have rented it out. Never had any issues with damp when I was living there or with past tenants, however, the current tenants have reported...
                            16-08-2017, 16:53 PM
                          • Reply to Tenants reporting damp issues in flat
                            leaseholder64
                            Most head leases for flats forbid drying within the grounds but outside the flat, so requiring drying outside the property means an extended dry in the laundrette, so you if you want to impose such a rule, you should probably ban washing machines as well.

(Where I live, a common breach...
                            21-08-2017, 09:16 AM
                          • Reply to NTQ during fixed term?
                            jjlandlord
                            The Act clearly states what a s.21 notice does, which is nothing apart from allowing the landlord to go to court.

I have just done so.

If a s.21 does nothing then the tenant may only end the tenancy by surrender or notice to quit. Both of which are very well documented...
                            21-08-2017, 09:08 AM
                          • Reply to End of student tenancy
                            mkgirl
                            Sadly all on one joint tenancy. We've learnt the hard way never to do this again! To be fair the lead tenant process was never explained, they just said someone had to be lead tenant!...
                            21-08-2017, 09:05 AM
                          Working...
                          X