Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove tenants after very poor behaviour

Hi,

I am new to this and thought I had found good tenants, but they have become very nasty and I want them out my house.

Basically there recent behaviour has been appauling and even severe threats! they have been in the house just over 6 months, I have a break clause in the agreement. As being new to this and nieve I hadnt put the money into a scheme as I was duped by the tenant saying I didnt need to and that they were happy for me to hold onto the money (I have all of this in a text message) I secured the deposit today and mailed the tenants the certificiate and will post the other documents recorded delivery Monday, it is a very bizaar situation and the tenant is refusing to talk to me I know this as the police have been involved. I do not have a number to contact him as he lost his phone.

I just want to get them out as there recent behaviour has been appauling and I am not putting up with it, also the rent is 2 days overdue (I know thats not long but it has always been paid on time) I just need to confirm what form I should use and how to complete it as I heard storys of it not being completed right and being rejected. Also I have not carried out the 6 months inspection which I am very keen to do as I am concerned for the house, should I just write a letter giving at least 24 hours notice saying I want to do the inspection and post it recorded? if they do not reply what are my rights can I just let myself into the house? taking a independant person with me?

Please help, kind regards

Given you want to evict anyway, I am not sure what the benefit of an inspection is. Ideally you'd want your tenant to agree to you doing an inspection but given the relationship you are describing, its probably difficult and wouldnt advise you to try entering without his consent.

When did the tenancy start and when did the fixed term end? Were there any renewals? You will have to go down the Section 21 route, which means you will have to return the deposit to the tenant first, I'm afraid
    All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

I hear what your saying but I am very concerned for the condition of the house. I certainly wont enter without his consent. The police officer has said he will come with me if I do am inspection.

The commencement of the tenancy was 15th May 2012, the initial term was 12 months. Sorry I do not understand what you mean by "fixed term end" No renewals. OK but I understand there are two section 21 documents a 1B and a 4A. Surely that cant be right, why should I give them the deposit back before I see the condition of the house and as they are looking like they are not going to pay this month ?

Comment

As you have failed to comply with the deposit protection rules, by allowing tenant to talk you into not protecting it, you must return the deposit before you can issue a valid Section 21 notice. As the Section 21 will probably need you to apply to court to force an eviction, the late protection of the deposit will not allow the court to accept the notice and your eviction will fail.

Also, even if you return the full deposit, the tenant can claim a penalty in court against you, for 1-3x the original deposit value. Returning it will help mitigate any claim the tenant makes, although does not remove it entirely.

The "fixed term" is the term that the original tenancy agreement ends. If you gave them a 12 month tenancy, which started on 15th May 2012, you cannot use an S21 to evict them until the 12 months ends. However, you mentioned a break clause? Some break clauses are very poorly written, so you need to tell us exactly the wording of yours, so members here can advise whether it is valid to issue notice against now.

Comment

Originally posted by wheretogo View Post
          The commencement of the tenancy was 15th May 2012, the initial term was 12 months. Sorry I do not understand what you mean by "fixed term end" No renewals. OK but I understand there are two section 21 documents a 1B and a 4A. Surely that cant be right, why should I give them the deposit back ...?
          Failing to protect the deposit has two consequences. 1) You cannot serve a valid s.21 notice unless you first return the deposit to the tenant; 2) you are exposed to a non-compliance claim by the tenant, and may be ordered to pay between 1x and 3x the value of the deposit. There is nothing you can do put things right in this respect.

Also note that deposit protection is a two-step procedure. You must protect the deposit and ALSO provide the prescribed information, which is several pages, not just a one page 'certificate'.

When you grant a fixed term tenancy for 12 months commencing 15th May 2012 then the fixed term will expire ("fixed term end") on 14th May 2013.

The only way that you can legally and unilaterally end the tenancy is by first serving proper notice and then applying for and obtaining a possession order from the court. As LesleyAnne says, you need to give us the exact wording of the break clause.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Part furnished
            by Chester Perry
            I posted elsewhere on here and feedback was a mix of its not worth it as nothing will happen (plus police will treat as a tenancy issue) and its worth doing to get a crime number.

Not going to claim on insurance given excess etc. The fridge freezers value second hand / age considered probably...
            18-09-2020, 14:22 PM
          • Part furnished
            by Chester Perry
            Our property was let part furnished however upon leaving the Ex. tenant took it upon himself to relieve us of the white goods and wooden blinds.

The dishwasher, washing machine, 2 x fridge freezers and wooden blinds throughout were actually ones purchased when the property was our main...
            18-09-2020, 13:34 PM
          • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
            by jpkeates
            A 15 year old washing machine has almost zero value (and will have less when you move out).
            The landlord can only legitimately claim for their loss if you bin it.

A mid range washing machine is about £350 (and they haven't changed much in price recently), and imagining one would...
            18-09-2020, 14:14 PM
          • Landlord refuses to sign inventory
            by Bumblebee3000
            We've recently rented a house that from the very start seemed badly taken care of - there were various problems like a mouldy washing machine/curtains, broken curtain rails, etc. When we arrived to meet the inventory clerk, we signed a 2-page document of handwritten inventory notes (we broadly agreed...
            17-09-2020, 20:13 PM
          • Reply to Part furnished
            by theartfullodger
            Trust you've reported the thefts to police
            18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
          • Reply to Landlord refuses to sign inventory
            by Bumblebee3000
            This is very helpful, MdeB, thank you. I will try to relax about the inventory now. In regards to the mould - the landlord has a letter from the curtain cleaning company stating that the mould has been "killed" during the cleaning. I actually spoke with the curtain cleaner when he was here...
            18-09-2020, 14:07 PM
          • Reply to Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
            by jpkeates
            The process seems to have changed recently.
            The landlord claims from the deposit and that claim should have a summary of what they are claiming and why.
            You dispute that and then you both have one chance to explain your side of the story.
            But you do that with only access to what the...
            18-09-2020, 13:57 PM
          • Deposit Negotitations with Landlord
            by Maymiss
            I am moving out of my rented home shortly, i have caused some damage which I notified the landlord of when it happened and they have recently visited to discuss the cost of repairs, which we have agreed. The landlord is now asking that I pay this money to them directly. It is not possible for the work...
            03-08-2020, 11:47 AM
          • Reply to Section 21 issued with new tenancy
            by jpkeates
            Every notice escalated to court is recorded and the figures published quarterly, so breaking out the s21 notices from the s8 shouldn't be complicated.

Two of the links are to House of Commons research papers, to be fair!...
            18-09-2020, 13:51 PM
          • Section 21 issued with new tenancy
            by fmST1
            When a new tenant moves into a property, I get them to sign a section 21 so that if whatever reason things don’t work out, the necessary paperwork is already in place.
            I’ve never had a need to exercise this yet, but would it work?...
            11-09-2020, 08:43 AM
          Working...
          X