Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Licence Agreement - Termination Notice Required

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and have a query regarding the Notice Terms on a Licence Agreement. Sorry for the long post, it's just that I'm in a bit of a tricky situation and would really appreciate any advice or thoughts.

I am the Licensor and have an agreement with a company regarding a residential property. The license states the Initial License Period is until a date (less than three months from now). We have not received any notice yet and have a feeling the Licensee is just going to leave on the last day of the Initial License Period. My query is that what is the legal obligation of Notice from the Licencee?

The agreement states about the License Period:

"The duration of the Licence shall be for the Inital License Period, unless terminated earlier in accordance with the provisions of Clause A and if the Licence has not been terminated by the expiry of the Initial Licence Period the Licence shall continue until terminated in accordance with the provisions of Clause B".

Clause A states:
    "During the Inital Licence Period this Licence may be terminated by either party on at least six months written notice given to the other party". (there are other parts to this clause but is not relevant here as it relates to a breach of the Licence by the Licencee, which has not occured).

Clause B states:
    "After the expiry of the Initial Licence Period this Licence may be terminated by either party on at least three months' notice given to the other party". (there are other parts, that aren't relevant here as for Clause A).

Thanks in advance for any help or thoughts

During the period up to the date the Initial License Period expires either party must give six months' notice to end the licence. After the Initial License Period expires three months' notice is needed.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. That's just what I thought but thank you for clarifying too.... so the Licence can't just end without any notice at all, it's got to be either 3 or 6 months.

Comment

On the basis of what you have posted, correct.

Comment

Thanks..the Licencee has now said they are planning on leaving on the last day of the Initial Licence Period even though this is less than 3 months time and have given no kind of notice at all as of yet. This is surely not adhering to the Licence then so what steps could I take now?

Comment

At the moment nothing really because they have not yet left. You can of course point out the terms of the licence and ask them why they consider they should not apply.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
              by MR M
              I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
              22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
            • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
              by MR M
              The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
              16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
            • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
              by newtenant9011
              You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
              22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
            • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
              by thesleepingdog
              Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
              22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
            • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
              by DPT57
              In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
              22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
            • Rent Rises in 2020
              by jpucng62
              I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
              19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
            • Reply to Rats
              by ChrisDennison
              These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
              22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
            • Rats
              by ETB
              I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
              21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
            • Reply to Rats
              by Berlingogirl
              I contacted my council and the rat man came out a couple of hours later with a T shaped tube thing full of blue grain which he put behind some bushes in the garden. It was free. I've not seen any rats since but the blue grain is going down. Apparently slugs and mice will also eat the bait....
              22-09-2020, 12:22 PM
            • Reply to Call to courts to initiate reactivation
              by Jon66
              You can send the information to court quoting the case number and ask them to include it in the bundle. If it's a mandatory ground the information will make little if any difference to the outcome.
              22-09-2020, 12:04 PM
            Working...
            X