Tenant just upped and left. What notice do i give to formally end the tenancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant just upped and left. What notice do i give to formally end the tenancy

My tenant left without notice on 1 September. Did not tell me. I did not find out until 10 October. She let her cousin move in (without asking me first). The cousin is now in there with a proper AST.
    What formal notice do I need to give her to legally end the first tenants tenancy? I still have her Deposit and she owes back rent from some time back. Thanks everybody

She would appear to have surrendered the tenancy of her own volition and you appear to have entered into another contract with her cousin. I am not sure you have to issue any notices to the first tenant at this stage.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to write to her (assuming you have a contact or work address?) setting out your understanding of the situation and stating that she has surrendered the tenancy by her actions and that you have accepted that surrender.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thank you. Yours is certainly the logical thing to do, but I just wanted to be sure that the tenant would not have the upper hand at some later date for some (as yet unanticipated) spurious issue simply because I had not issued some formal legal notice.

Comment

Originally posted by LANDLORDNORM View Post
        What formal notice do I need to give her to legally end the first tenants tenancy?
        You cannot end an AST simply by serving a notice. To unilaterally end an AST, you need to obtain a court order for possession.

But tenancies may end by mutually agreed surrender, either formally in writing, or 'by operation of law', which is when both LL/T's actions are inconsistent with the tenancy continuing. E.g. in very simplistic terms, T moves out (implied offer), LL retakes possession (implied acceptance of offer).

Originally posted by LANDLORDNORM View Post
        I just wanted to be sure that the tenant would not have the upper hand at some later date for some (as yet unanticipated) spurious issue simply because I had not issued some formal legal notice.
        It is certainly possible that the tenant could reappear and allege she has been unlawfully evicted, etc.

It's arguable as to whether the tenant did actually offer to surrender; one might argue that since she invited a relative to stay, she didn't offer up vacant possession, so where's the offer in that? Of course, you've only told us a few very basic facts, so who knows.

Hopefully, you'll be llucky this time, but it's very risky to take such a casual approach to letting. Unlawful eviction is a criminal offence, and if the T also brings a civil claim you can be ordered to pay significant damages.

And did you even reference check this 'cousin' before granting a new tenancy?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
          by jpkeates
          Document everything you've done and your efforts to contact the tenants.
          I'd store the possessions for a couple of months before binning them....
          22-09-2020, 15:55 PM
        • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
          by MR M
          The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
          16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
        • Reply to Direct Debit vs Standing Order
          by jpkeates
          Most landlords won't qualify to be able to use Direct Debits.
          You have to be an approved member of the scheme and most businesses are too small to qualify.
          Last time I was involved in setting one up, the business needed to be turning over £1m (or was expecting to and could persuade a bank...
          22-09-2020, 15:53 PM
        • Direct Debit vs Standing Order
          by danwestgarth
          Has anyone any experience in collecting rent from tenants using Direct Debit opposed to Standing Order? From what i understand, with Direct Debit the payee (landlord) is in control, rather than the payor (tenant). JCould be a good way to minimize missed payments during covid-19. Does anyone know of...
          22-09-2020, 15:44 PM
        • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
          by gnvqsos
          Why object to exterior redecoration-surely this is quiet and non-invasive?There seems to be most of the work done-now you can sit back and enjoy the improved house.Most people seem to complain because the landlord does too little.
          22-09-2020, 15:51 PM
        • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
          by thesleepingdog
          Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
          22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
        • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
          by DPT57
          Well if the market rent for your properties has increased and you think that there would be a good prospect of re-letting quickly and there is a low risk that your existing tenant will stop paying rent altogether then from a business point of view, it makes sense to increase the rent. Having said that,...
          22-09-2020, 14:57 PM
        • Rent Rises in 2020
          by jpucng62
          I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
          19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
        • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
          by jpucng62
          Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
          22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
        • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
          by MR M
          I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
          22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
        Working...
        X