Neighbour to a rented property with problem tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neighbour to a rented property with problem tenants

I will try not to rabbit too much but I am desperate for advice. Myself partner and children purchased our property in October 2011, our first bough property. Next door is rented out by and estate agents who actually own the property ( and inform me they wish to eventually retire here) In March 2012 a new couple moved in and until August there has been serious issues, to keep it brief this involves daily police presence, drugs, violence, screaming and swearing in the street, friends urinating at the side of my property, female tenant knocking my door to call the police on her partner and so on.The couple are known to the police and were before moving in. I have everything documented and have constantly informed the landlord of every incident. I have had to go to court as a witness to the violence, am convinced that a significant contributing factor to the first submission of my dissertation failing was due to the stress. I do not feel comfortable in my own home. Each time I contacted the landlord they would tell me that that aren't responsible for who comes and goes from the property, are not responsible for the boyfriend smoking drugs outside my property as he is not on the tenancy and often would get annoyed at ME for calling them. I began putting everything in writing, eventually they wrote to me stating that a notice seeking possession was issued with a date to be out of the property, when this date passed I again called to be told that as things had been quite there for about 6 weeks they would be evicting her for a previous issue and could not legally do this(she had not been at the property during this time as she had given birth, and due to the drug problem the baby was in the care of family with whom I believe she now spends most of her time. It has been relatively quiet for about 2 months now,because she is rarely there, however there was an incident this weekend. I'm at my wits end. I have since found out through a friend that you cannot put a date on a notice seeking possession and quite frankly I do not know if I can trust that this has actually been issued. I have no knowledge of housing law, I am a health professional, so when I have spoken to the landlord I cannot argue a case and initially I believed everything they told me. I feel that receiving their rent is their priority. I have been to environmental health and completed a log, I have contacted my local MP, who in turn contacted the landlord(who then left me a ranting voicemail about contacting MPs and handing out their number-one which is on their website??) and I am considering going to the local paper, but in all honestly I don't wish to take that route, what I want is for the tenant to be removed and for me to feel safe in my own home again. Surely this situation is not right and the landlord has every bit of evidence and support to get them out.
    Any advice is grately appreciated
    shre

I am desperate for advice. I, partner and children purchased our property in October 2011. Next door is rented out by an estate agent who actually own the property.

In March 2012 a new couple moved in and until August there have been serious issues, this involves daily police presence, drugs, violence, screaming and swearing in the street, friends urinating at the side of my property, female tenant knocking my door to call the police on her partner and so on.

The couple are known to the police and were before moving in. I have everything documented and have constantly informed the landlord of every incident. I have had to go to court as a witness to the violence, I am convinced that a significant contributing factor to the first submission of my dissertation failing was due to the stress. I do not feel comfortable in my own home.

Each time I contacted the landlord they would tell me that that aren't responsible for who comes and goes from the property, are not responsible for the boyfriend smoking drugs outside my property as he is not on the tenancy and often would get annoyed at ME for calling them.

I began putting everything in writing, eventually they wrote to me stating that a notice seeking possession was issued with a date to be out of the property, when this date passed I again called to be told that as things had been quiet there for about 6 weeks they would be evicting her for a previous issue and could not legally do this she had not been at the property during this time as she had given birth, and due to the drug problem the baby was in the care of family with whom I believe she now spends most of her time.

It has been relatively quiet for about 2 months now, because she is rarely there, however there was an incident this weekend. I'm at my wits end. I have since found out through a friend that you cannot put a date on a notice seeking possession and quite frankly I do not know if I can trust that this has actually been issued.

I have no knowledge of housing law, so when I have spoken to the landlord I cannot argue a case and initially I believed everything they told me. I feel that receiving rent is their priority. I have been to environmental health and completed a log, I have contacted my local MP, who in turn contacted the landlord (who then left me a ranting voice mail about contacting MPs and handing out their number-one which is on their website??) What I want is for the tenant to be removed and for me to feel safe in my own home again.

Surely this situation is not right and the landlord has every bit of evidence and support to get them out.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comment

I appreciate my grammar and lay out was not perfect but why has my post been edited?

Comment

You're much more likely to get helpful replies if your post can be read easily... that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by shrek78 View Post
          I appreciate my grammar and lay out was not perfect but why has my post been edited?
          I read the first five or six words, then my eyes started to hurt.
          dave g should have made it clear he has formatted it by enclosing it in quote marks.

Your landlord has no responsibility to you.

The council can apply for a "Premises Closure Order" at the magistrates court. If this is granted, the premises would be closed(and getting no rent)for 3 months.

Ask the council/police about this option.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Sorry, this is quite an emotive issue for me and after a recommendation to try this site it all spilled out.
            Just to clarify, I own the house next door and therefore have no landlord. Do you mean the landlord of next door has no responsibility to me? As I was of the understanding that landlords have a some sort of responsibility to the neighbours of their properties, is this not correct?
            In regards to the "premises closure order" which department at the council offices do I need to ask for in order to discuss this?
            Thank you

Comment

Do you mean the landlord of next door has no responsibility to me?
              Sorry, my mistake. Yes.

My local council has an "Anti Social Behaviour Unit". They are the ones(or equivalent)who you should contact.
              The enviromental health office should be able to signpost you to the correct dept.
              Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I have absolutely no knowledge on housing law so apologies for the questions, so is this closure order something that I can request even though my only connection to the property is simply that I am a neighbour?

Also is this a costly process?

Given that you have suggested this as a course of action, do you think that there are no further ways of getting a positive result from the owners/landlord of this property.

Comment

I have absolutely no knowledge on housing law so apologies for the questions, so is this closure order something that I can request even though my only connection to the property is simply that I am a neighbour?

Also is this a costly process?

Given that you have suggested this as a course of action, do you think that there are no further ways of getting a positive result from the owners/landlord of this property.
                  You cannot request it, the council have it as an option.
                  The council have an obligation to "keep the peace" as it were, for all the people in the local authority.

They do not want to deal with irate council tax payers week in, week out, so should do something about it.
                  "The squeakiest wheel gets the oil".

Comment

If I cannot request it how do I go about asking the council for it?

Again, my apologies for lack of understanding in this area, I appreciate your patience.

Comment

shrek,

Sorry about that I was sorting out a response when I had a visitor, must have hit the post button instead of cancel.

It is not simple for a LL to evict a tenant, if a tenant refuses to leave when asked LL will need to give tenant notice, get a court order and a bailiff to execute it. The whole process can take around 5 months.

The easiest way for a LL to get possession is after the fixed period of the tenancy agreement has ended. The fixed term is a minimum of 6 months but may be longer. This is the S21 route and if all paper work is in order the court is obliged to grant the LL possession.

If the fixed term has not ended the only way the LL can get possession is by applying for it on "discretionary grounds" ie it is up to a judge to decide. Judges are usually reluctant to make people homeless and LL would need a very strong case. I can see an obvious defences of "it was a problem boyfriend not me" or "yes there was trouble but it was a while ago"

I feel for you having to live near this but it is possible LL is trying. Talk to LL, ask him what is happening - it may be that he is waiting for the fixed term of the tenancy to expire.

Good luck with the dissertation,

Dave

Comment

Thank you Dave. I've requested a meeting with the landlord, I'm yet to receive a response to this, I hope they do respond of course, and that the meeting is productive.

Dissertation passed, now on a job hunt

Comment

Shrek

It sounds to me the LL cannot give a monkeys. Why waste more time trying to appeal to his non-existant better nature? How he intends to evict his tenant is up to him and you should not be giving him advice. By all means, let him know how his property is being abused and how the neighbourhood is never going to forgive him and how his insurance may increase if there is an incident.

You need to be calling the council for advice regarding this antisocial behaviour.
                          All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
                            by DPT57
                            Well if the market rent for your properties has increased and you think that there would be a good prospect of re-letting quickly and there is a low risk that your existing tenant will stop paying rent altogether then from a business point of view, it makes sense to increase the rent. Having said that,...
                            22-09-2020, 14:57 PM
                          • Rent Rises in 2020
                            by jpucng62
                            I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
                            19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
                            by jpucng62
                            Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
                            22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
                          • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                            by MR M
                            I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
                            22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
                          • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                            by MR M
                            The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
                            16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
                          • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                            by newtenant9011
                            You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
                            22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
                          • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                            by thesleepingdog
                            Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
                            22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
                            by DPT57
                            In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
                            22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                          • Reply to Rats
                            by ChrisDennison
                            These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
                            22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
                          • Rats
                            by ETB
                            I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
                            21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
                          Working...
                          X