X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advice needed please on a tenant situation

I have a couple living with their two small children renting a property
    from me for just under five months now, they're in receipt of HB which is
    paid direct so no rent hassles and they do seem reasonably quiet tenants & no bother.

However this morning I have received notification of damaged being sustained to the exterior of the property.
    It has been defaced with black spray paint in large letters saying 'Pedo'
    It transpires the father of one of the tenants had been arrested last week for alleged paedophilia crimes, and has been released on bail, but he was unable to return to his own address as part of bail conditions and therefore asked his son (my tenant) if he could reside with him and his wife.

(Thankfully) Not having been in this situation before I am some what in a quandary as to what happens here. I understand the law of our land states a man is innocent until proven guilty, but I am very concerned for my property and it's safety, and the safety of my actual tenants if there is a 'witch hunt'

Can a rented property be used as a 'bail' address ??

How does this fair with buildings insurance etc ?

All thoughts and legality gratefully received.
    Thank you in advance

Of course a rented property can be used as a bail address. Do you think only home-owners can be bailed?
    Ask your insurance company their position.

I would tell your tenant that he can't live there, and must leave immediately. If he doesn't leave, there is little you can do. What you can do would take months to action.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

I don't believe you have any effective control over who lives in the property, but there may be a legal argument that the tenants invited him into the house, so that are liable for the consequences of that invitation - ie they pay to get the property back into the condition it was in, irrespective of how many times the damage is repeated.

I don't think you have any obligation to get involved, so long as the structure is stillsound (ie, no broken windows).

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
        I would tell your tenant that he can't live there, and must leave immediately.
        You mean tell him that his father can't live there. I'd be careful about issuing orders like this. Better to inform the tenant that he is liable for any damage caused to the property caused by him or his visitors. Arguably, having the father to stay is an open invitation to all the [illiterate] neighbourhood vigilantes.

Comment

Originally posted by millief View Post
          I am very concerned for my property and it's safety, and the safety of my actual tenants if there is a 'witch hunt'
          I'd also be concerned for the property, but the tenant's safety is his problem.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X