Can I sue my landlord for breach of contract?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSaxp
    replied
    did you actually sign the contract before viewing the house?

I think it would be difficult to sue for the absense of a shower. Not sure how a judge would see such a case. I think that best case scenario is that the landlord would give you an amount towards your move, as a gesture of good will and that is not very likely.

Compensation for the inconvenience, i'd say impossible.

I think you should also be happy if they are letting you move out without a penalty. If the landlord said he doesnt care, you would have to stay for the entire fixed term. I think suing is rather hopeless

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    You could sue, but I doubt it's worth it. I doubt you would get moving expenses, as you shouldn't have moved in the first place if the tenancy was dependant on having a shower.

What date did they say that you could leave? Is that without penalty?

Have you had a plumber come in and priced up for fitting a shower?

You should have asked your friends to use the bath, it wasn't essential that they showered in your "bedroom".

Leave a comment:

• mkgirl
    replied
    Hi

Thanks for reply.

Does the contract state more bathrooms/showers?

Actual contract doesnt go into that level of specifics

Do you have any proof of what was promised, that wasnt delivered?

Yes- I have the builders spec given to me by the agents which states the shower should be included and also I have an email and text converastion where they agree to fit the shower and make arrangements for a plumber to visit. He does actually come round but then nothing!
    When does your fixed term expire?
    Fixed term July but they have said if Im not happy I can leave now!

Leave a comment:

• MSaxp
    replied
    Does the contract state more bathrooms/showers?

Do you have any proof of what was promised, that wasnt delivered?

When does your fixed term expire?

Leave a comment:

• mkgirl
    started a topic Can I sue my landlord for breach of contract?

Can I sue my landlord for breach of contract?

Hi

In July I moved into a brand new rented 3 bed house. Because it was still being built I could only view the show home & outside.
    G
    I paid extra because the house had an ensuite. The spec states that in the main bathroom there should also be a shower but there isn't. Since the day I moved in I have been fighting for this & getting nowhere! It's ridiculous because I paid extra so that on the mornings we wouldnt all be fighting over 1 shower which is in my bedroom! I had friends stay over last week & they too had to shower in my bedroom.

I could rent a 3 bed with 1 bathroom for £125-£175 a month less!! Yes not brand new but actually slightly better area so car insurance cheaper too!

I don't really want to move but I'm at the end of my teather. So if I do govthis route does thus constitute breech of contract? Can I ask for compensation for moving costs, money spent having people in to hang pictures etc? Sheer inconvenience? How do I start this proces? Do I need a solicitor?

Thank you for any advice xx

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Curtain poles in windows
    by scampicat
    My flat already had curtains when I bought it, so I left them in. Then my very obliging first tenant installed vertical blinds all round, which he left when he went to say at Her Majesty's Prison . I have left them in for all other tenants since.

In response to the OP, I would put...
    28-11-2021, 12:37 PM
  • Curtain poles in windows
    by Kate foster
    Hi all. Wonder if you can advise. I gave a fully unfurnished property to a tenant and they were aware of it. Now they have moved in, they have asked if I can get all poles bought and fitted in the rooms for curtains. It will be added cost for me to buy 6 poles and fitting cost ect. What is best way...
    27-11-2021, 07:15 AM
  • Reply to Am I a lodger or a tenant?
    by JK0
    Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? She's not kicked you out. If you don't like your housemate, move, surely?

I wouldn't be laying the law down to Sarah, as I suspect you may still be a lodger.
    28-11-2021, 12:22 PM
  • Am I a lodger or a tenant?
    by Bert1e
    Hello, I have a question about my legal status in private rented accommodation.

I live in a private rented house. The entire house is rented from the landlord by one individual (let's call her Sara). Sara has a bedroom in the house and a lot of stuff in the cupboards all around the house....
    28-11-2021, 12:13 PM
  • Alternative ways to enforce a Peaceable Eviction
    by bob369
    Hi,

A Lodger (Excluded Occupier) needs to be excluded as his Notice Period has expired (one calendar month), and he refuses to leave

I understand Police will not get involved to remove him, even though he is tresspassing, understand they view this as Civil not criminal....
    24-11-2021, 23:16 PM
  • Reply to Freezing cold, outdated heating and draughty insulation
    by Jon66
    Blankets, hot water bottles, sweaters, uggs indoors, heated blankets, sausages along the bottom of doors, heavy curtains at the windows and doors, plastic rolls of draught excluder fitted everywhere there is a leak. Curtains can be bought cheaply in charity shops and are very effective. Can tell I lived...
    27-11-2021, 23:09 PM
  • Freezing cold, outdated heating and draughty insulation
    by Canning18
    Hi folks,

I’ve been renting a flat through a housing association for a few years now but find my flat to be insanely freezing during the winter (it never bothered me too much before Covid as I was away with work a lot). Last year was the first year I was around all winter and I’ve ended...
    26-11-2021, 10:44 AM
  • Reply to Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
    by KTC
    Well, it is too late for no penalty but you knew that already. Like theartfullodger said, make a offer to settle. I'll make it a formal Part 36 offer to avoid any argument. The +£1 is unnecssary, if you made the offer, they need to beat it. It is highly unlikely for a court to award the maximum 3x...
    27-11-2021, 22:52 PM
  • Tenancy issues - No Deposit Scheme, demanding deposit back
    by llplug
    I am a private landlord who has not put tenants deposit into Deposit scheme - I now understand the errors of my ways, put my hand up, my fault, been lax

Tenant has had a number of minor issues (sink drainage, plug not working, bedroom light not working) which I have made an effort to rectify,...
    19-11-2021, 15:49 PM
  • Reply to Cant accept visitors with pets
    by Codger
    It is not usual for visitors to bring pets. I am quite old and no vistors have ever asked to bring pets to my home.
    27-11-2021, 21:43 PM
Working...
X