Date of expiry for s21(1)(b)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Date of expiry for s21(1)(b)

I'm using the very helpful s21 template found on Landlord Zone and have a few questions.

1) First, regarding the date of expiry. The tenancy started on September 1st 2012 and lasts 12 months, through to August 31st 2013. Would the date of expiry be August 31st 2013 or September 1st 2013?

2) I assume "Landlord’s Agent (name and address when served by agent)" is left blank if I manage the property myself (i.e. no agent).

3) Would it be acceptable to provide a letter alongside the notice? I want to outline the reason they are receiving it (rent arrears) and highlight that any rent arrears will be pursued where appropriate at the end of the tenancy (e.g. money order through the courts) or before if they fall 2 months in arrears.

Thanks

1) Does the agreement specify an end date or just 12 months from september the first?

Expiry of the notice to be "AFTER the 31st of August 2013"

2) since you have no agent...

3) It is generally not adviseable. Stamements you make might invalidate your notice. Best to just send the notice as it is. A section 21 notice is a notice to apply for a no-reason termination. I am sure they are aware of the fact that they should be paying rent and also of the fact you will ask for it if they dont pay by the end of the tenancy.
    All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

Use this template:
      http://www.letlink.co.uk/GeneralInfo...on/S21_1_B.pdf

The date to be inserted is 31st August 2013

Simply send the Sec 21 with no covering letter. If they contact you to ask why, then respond.

Does your tenancy agreement state that you can use a Sec 8 if they fall into rent arrears during the fixed term?
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thanks for clarifying the end date. The tenancy actually says "12 months from September 1st 2012 to 11am on August 31st 2013".

Here's the actual tenancy agreement used. Also, here's the relevent section from the tenancy agreement...

This agreement is an assured shorthold tenancy (as defined in section 19A of the Housing Act 1988). The arrangements in section 21 of the Housing Act 1988 for the landlord to repossess the property apply to this agreement. This means that you cannot claim any legal rights to stay on once the tenancy has ended and a court order says you must leave. The landlord giving a section-21 notice must give at least two months’ notice, in writing. For more information, you should consult a housing advice centre, solicitor or citizens’ advice bureau who will tell you what this means.
        About section 8 - it doesn't specify that from reading it through - should that be a problem? They aren't 2 months behind yet, as they haven't paid this month and underpaid last month. AFAIK section 8 applies 14 days after they are 2 full months in arrears (i.e. if they don't pay on December 1st).

Here's another relevant section...

If you owe rent or any other money you must pay under the agreement, you will have to pay interest on this amount from the date that it should have been paid. The interest rate is 3% above the base rate used by the Royal Bank of Scotland. This rate may apply before, as well as after, a court judgment has been made against you, depending on the terms of the court judgment.
        Thanks for your help so far.

Comment

Having a time of the day(11a.m) is not a good idea. This could mean that they are paying a whole year, but not getting it.
          It serves no real purpose, apart from you getting in somebody in the same day, and getting double rent for that day. It has more disadvantages than advantages.

Re: Sec 8.
          Paragraph "F" takes care of that, so no need to worry.

The part regarding interest is not worth pursuing if they were to get into arrears in my opinion.

As a side note, it's poor for the tenancy agreement to have an option of 4 weekly rents, as this would not allow a landlord to gain possession using a Sec 8 within or outside of the fixed term. Sloppy, very sloppy.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
            Agreed. The 'new improved' LLZ template is still a bit of a dog's dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
              As a side note, it's poor for the tenancy agreement to have an option of 4 weekly rents, as this would not allow a landlord to gain possession using a Sec 8 within or outside of the fixed term. Sloppy, very sloppy.
              Never use an RLA contract, is my advice.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
                Never use an RLA contract, is my advice.
                Thanks - is there anything specific I need to watch out for besides the above '4 week' option in the tenancy? Also, are there any alternatives you recommend?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
                  by DPT57
                  Well if the market rent for your properties has increased and you think that there would be a good prospect of re-letting quickly and there is a low risk that your existing tenant will stop paying rent altogether then from a business point of view, it makes sense to increase the rent. Having said that,...
                  22-09-2020, 14:57 PM
                • Rent Rises in 2020
                  by jpucng62
                  I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
                  19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
                  by jpucng62
                  Where I rent properties (Beds / Northants / Nottingham) rents have risen substantially and availability has fallen. So my question is still, 6 months on from everyone being told to stay at home and with normality of work returning for many tenants (I accept not all) and many people not unduly financially...
                  22-09-2020, 14:44 PM
                • Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                  by MR M
                  I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
                  22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
                • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
                  by MR M
                  The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
                  16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
                • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                  by newtenant9011
                  You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
                  22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
                • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
                  by thesleepingdog
                  Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
                  22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
                  by DPT57
                  In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
                  22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
                • Reply to Rats
                  by ChrisDennison
                  These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
                  22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
                • Rats
                  by ETB
                  I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
                  21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
                Working...
                X