Rights of person not named tenancy agreement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rights of person not named tenancy agreement?

A tenant has moved his girlfriend in to live with him.He is the sole name on the tenancy .I have no problem with this as she is making the property a couples home not a batchlar pad.Please what is the correct way his tenancy started on the 1/5/2012 it was only yesterday he had to tell me after my visit.He is happy to remain sole tenant but i DONT WANT HIM MOVING OUT AND HER HAVING LEGAL rights to stay because I did not have the correct paperwork.

She would not have any legal rights to stay. He is the tenant. If he goes, she goes - but if she was 'naughty' and stayed - she'd be squatting and you could get her out easily (I believe), as recent new laws have been passed.

Comment

Unless you want her to have tenant's rights, don't add her to the tenancy agreement. He is the tenant with the rights, she will have none!

Comment

Slight edit to Claymores post - she would not be squatting because she had permission to be there from the tenant.

What would actually happen is one of these:
        1) If tenant evicted, bailffs will remove her too; or
        2) If tenant gave notice, she would become a trespasser and could be quickly evicted through the courts.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
          Slight edit to Claymores post - she would not be squatting because she had permission to be there from the tenant.

What would actually happen is one of these:
          1) If tenant evicted, bailffs will remove her too; or
          2) If tenant gave notice, she would become a trespasser and could be quickly evicted through the courts.
          Nearly right - trespasser (not squatter) - good to see you back Snorkerz!

Comment

What it the boyfriend gets the girlfriend to sign a lodgers agreement.

Just make sure you(landlord/owner) never accept any rent payments directly from the girlfriend.

Comment

The new offence of squatting does not apply in a case where the person did not enter as a trespasser. The act also specifically confirms that "the offence is not committed by a person holding over after the end of a lease or licence (even if the person leaves and re-enters the building)".

The new law does not make it easier to evict a trespasser. In fact it has never been that difficult to evict a trespasser quickly.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X