Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat offered part-furnished, tenants now don't require bed, sofa, fridge

Hello

Apologies if the answer to this question has been posted elsewhere.

I'm living in the States and am renting out my flat in the UK via lettings agents since March 2011. The previous tenants have moved out and new tenants have moved in. According to a rather undetailed email I received from the letting agents today, the tenants "don't require" the bed, fridge-freezer and sofa that are currently in the flat. I am unclear as to whether they are defective, not fit for purpose etc. I'm now being asked by the letting agents what I want done with these items.

As I understand it the flat was advertised as part-furnished, and that is also reflected in the lease. The tenants have moved in and this is the first I have heard about them not requiring the bed etc. Whilst the items in the flat might not be top-notch they did cost me a fair amount, and I'm reluctant to get rid of them and have to get new items if I move back into the flat. Does their request constitute a change in contract and am I responsible for moving the original items out if they simply want to replace them with their own, i.e. the original items are fit for purpose and they just don't like them? Also, is there a win-win option that's eluding me?

Many thanks

Sazza

Would it be okay for the tenants to donate the items to a housing charity? Then at least your money isn't wasted.

Comment

Ts should have negotiated this before taking the flat and they are now responsible for these items having moved in.

However it's always best to negotiate as you don't really want a troublesome tenancy.

Could you maybe arrange storage of these items with your family if your plans are to return to property within say 2 years (after that you may not want to sit on same sofa, sleep in same bed as x amount of Ts and their guests anyway).
      I'm a good tenant with great landlords
      I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Originally posted by Sazza View Post
        Does their request constitute a change in contract and am I responsible for moving the original items out if they simply want to replace them with their own, i.e. the original items are fit for purpose and they just don't like them?
        'Don't require' sounds like don't want, not defective.

You've no obligation to remove the items, and it's stupid of the tenants not to have said anything before taking the tenancy. You could simply say that if they don't want the items then they should put the items into storage for the duration of their tenancy. But as Brb says, it's usually best to try to maintain a harmonious relationship.

In this situation I would also consider the length of the fixed term, the rental level, and the age of the items (i.e. if X is five years old then you may need to replace it soon anyway).

Comment

Another option of course is sell items as sometimes easier rather than incur storage charges, or ask letting agent to store them free of charge as clearly they should have been aware that the specified items were to be left and pointed this out during viewings.
          If the tenants were advised you have a good reason to negotiate storage charges for the items, be careful however as good long term tenants are like gold dust and you have a judgement call to make.

Comment

In a wild hope of some balance in the universe may I ask if the fridge freezer is a SERVIS MV0555S because I would happily pay you £40 for the inside parts, specifically I broke the bottle rack on the door but if by some miracle it's the same then I'd have all unbroken bits LOL.

You never know eh.

Comment

LOL. It's a Bosch fridge freezer, I'm afraid. However, if you're interested in taking it off my hands please do pm me. Will send you a photo and further specs.

Thank you all for the extremely useful comments. Unfortunately family isn't in a position to store the items (extreme decluttering taking place) so I will contact the letting agents and say that I would like the items placed in storage, given to charity or sold, with them/the tenants making arrangements, incurring majority of costs and showing proof where appropriate. What a palaver!

Many thanks again :-)

Comment

With 2 posts to date Sazza you won't be allowed to use the PM system yet (IIRC it's 15 posts). Unless you're close to me I don't see how it would be viable but thank you *S* (local being northamptonshire).

There are many ways of getting rid of items these days. My very small town has tons of facebook groups for selling/giving away and there is also freecycle/freegle. I think the salvation army still pick up items.

Hope it goes well.

Comment

Thanks for your advice and good wishes. Wrote to the letting agents telling them what I outlined in an earlier post here. Turns out that the tenants knew the flat was furnished but nonetheless bought a sofa, fridge, bed AND washing machine after moving in. They would like the fridge and sofa removed, so have asked the letting agents to arrange for the British Heart Foundation to pick up the sofa and for the fridge to be delivered to my father's place (the decluttering has resulted in a bit of space). We'll see how it goes...

Once again, many thanks!

Sazza

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X