Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firstofficer
    replied
    Great! Thanks guys. It's useful to get an objective view on things. I think I'll do what is suggested and take the DPS while I can! I guess the rest can be dealt with as it comes, and hopefully there won't be anything major...

I appreciate all your input!

Cheers. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Dottie
    replied
    I think the tenant's much more likely to leave the place ok if you demonstrate support...

Leave a comment:

• Alexlandlord
    replied
    Agree with everyone above, after 5 years little point in pursuing matter further. Do remember getting money from DPS quickly requires cooperation from tenant.

Leave a comment:

• thesaint
    replied
    As above, take any money offered now.

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    I would do as Lawcruncher advises and take the deposit money now to set against rent, when T is willing to release it. Worry about the rest later.

Leave a comment:

• Firstofficer
    replied
    Thanks guys.

You make some good points. I guess I should just take the DPS money like the T has suggested and hope for the best. It's not that I don trust the T or think they're going to trash the place, but you just never know!!

That's also a good point about wear and tear. I will bear that in mind. I have taken pictures from the start of the tenancy and over the years I can see an obvious change in the state of cleanliness.

Would there be any advantage in waiting until I do a check-out inspection of the property and then decide what to do? If all looks fine, then take DPS money. If any major issues, then leave DPS, sue for rental arrears, and claim back damages/repairs via DPS??

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• westminster
    replied
    After a five year tenancy there will be significant wear and tear. Even if the T has damaged something you will have to factor in five years' wear and tear, and in many cases you would only be able to claim a portion of the replacement cost.

For example, if the living room carpet is badly stained, beyond cleaning, you cannot claim the full replacement cost, only a portion depending on the expected life-span of the carpet - if it's a cheap carpet, expected to last only five years before requiring replacement due to fair wear and tear, then you wouldn't be entitled to anything, because you'd have had to replace it anyway.

Why do you think she might trash the place when she's been reliable for five years?

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    There are some who argue, though I have never quite understood the logic of it, that you should never take anything out of the deposit for rent until the tenancy has ended. In this case all the facts surely point to taking what you can as early as you can. If you get the tenant's agreement to use the deposit for rent then the money is yours. If you mess about arguing over what should be deducted for damages etc and demand the rent outstanding it could drag on. As to suing, you cannot get blood out of a stone. I think it is unwise to make any decision on the basis that the tenant may trash the property.

Leave a comment:

• Firstofficer
    started a topic Rent default, using Deposit Funds

Rent default, using Deposit Funds

(sorry its a little long!)

Hi guys,

Wondered if you could give me some advice. Will give you a brief summary of my situation. Any help would be much appreciated.

- I have been letting out my property for the past 5 years to same tenant
    - no major problems experienced, paying on time (standing order),all inspections have been OK etc.
    - Last month: no rent received
    - contacted tenant, they checked with bank - apparently she was being investigated for some form of dishonesty with regards to tax credits claims and they stopped her payments
    - She agreed to pay half of the rent immediately, and the other half when her issues sorted.
    - Subsequently, contacted me to say that she owes the tax credit people money as they have been overpaying her for years.
    - cannot afford to stay at the property any more and gave in her 30 day termination notice (to end 24 Nov 2012)
    - asked me to take the deposit money (DPS) as rent for the remainder of her stay (which miraculously was more or less exactly what she owed)
    - she has stated that she would pay all the required expenses related to damages/cleaning of the property
    - she says she has absolutely no money at the moment

Although I have agreed to this in principle, I have major concerns. Taking the DPS would leave me with no means for negotiating any property damage. I then asked her that I'd like to do an inspection this coming week - which she refused, saying this should be done at the end once she's moved out. She also re-iterated that she would have no issues paying any amounts owed for damages/cleaning, and that I have nothing to worry about.

Can anyone help with this situation?

Do I just take the deposit money and hope that the property won't be trashed?

Or is it safer to hold back and not touch the DPS money until I have inspected the property on her vacating? I spoke to a friend in the legal profession and he said that suing her for rent arrears is easier that trying to get her to pay for damages which she may later deny.

Not quite sure which way to play this one. Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Nick

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
    by DoricPixie
    You don't need the password of the vacating tenant. Their account with the utility company has nothing to do with you as you are setting up a new account not taking over the tenant's account. The section on the websites is usually called something like "Moving Home" and although you're not...
    19-05-2022, 03:26 AM
  • notifying utility companies of tenant change
    by flyingfreehold
    Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
    18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
    by flyingfreehold
    but how can you give the information online if you dont have the password of the tenant vacating?
    19-05-2022, 02:14 AM
    by DoricPixie
    You’re not really putting the account back into the landlord’s name, you’re opening a new account.

I thought the majority of utility suppliers let you set up a new account online as they don’t really want you phoning them either. Closing the account is all done online too and the...
    19-05-2022, 00:35 AM
  • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
    by Yorkie2020
    Thanks artfull, we have the CRN. we may need help from the place you suggested as I've never had to deal with an insurance company before and it's already looking like its going to be North of £1600 claim and they will try to wriggle out of it.

Had a very unpleasant chat with the tenant...
    19-05-2022, 00:04 AM
  • Windows and front door smashed
    by Yorkie2020
    Tenant messaged this morning to say her living room window and front door were smashed in last night plus some other damage. She called the police who arranged for someone to secure the broken window and door.
    In all the years of being a landlord, I've never had to make an insurance claim before,...
    17-05-2022, 16:41 PM
  • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
    by Renterthedragon
    I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
    18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
    by ash72
    I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
    18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
  • Reply to Single parent renting
    by Hooper
    I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
    18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
  • Single parent renting
    by Dct
    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
Working...
X