No written agreement and council tax

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    No written agreement and council tax

    Tenants have been in a property for 1yr, no written agreement. Tenants have now left and council are chasing LL (My friend)for £450. How can she prove to council that there was a tenant in her property. Council are being unhelpful.
    I am here because I am inexperienced and want to learn.

    By producing written evidence of tenancy -eg regular payments by SO, emails regarding occupation..

    Silly landlord. Next time, write to council & utility companies whenever a change of occupation
    I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


      Are Council aware your friend had rented the property eg T making HB or C Tax claim?

      How much is £450 C Tax 1 month? I doubt a year, so sounds like T stopped paying C Tax when they vacated and they are coming to friend for continued payment as LL, without offering the usual 6 months grace for an empty rental.

      A simple signed letter stating 'Mr/Ms Smith was a tenant from/to dates, with a verbal AST and paid rent of £x / pcm/wk.
      signed Mr/Ms Friend, Landlord.'

      If T left any utility bills or other correspondence behind with her name and property address on, this should strengthen the case.Did friend serve any written Notice on her at the property and keep a copy? Another good reason to use Royal Mail not email or text.


      Latest Activity