assured shorthold tenancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

assured shorthold tenancy

I am a landlord and my ast is just about to expire after 6 months. The tenants have paid their rent on time and seem to be ok. Would it be better for myself to let the tenancy roll on to a monthly one, or grant a new ast for 6 months or maybe 12 months. Would I be in a stronger position legally If I had to evict tenants in the future say for example for rent arrears, if I took the option of a new ast for 6 or 12 months. Thank you for any replies.

AST will be more secure for the tenants, but not make much difference to you. You can evict more easily on an SPT, as you do not need to await the end of the fixed term to use a Section 21.

I have let a property fo 12 years, had 4 different tenants in that time and only ever issue an initial 6 month AST, allowing it to become periodic afterwards.

You can offer the tenants a new agreement, but cannot force themt o sign it!

Comment

Not at all. And on the contrary, if you are on a periodic tenancy, you can evict via a section 21 without needing any grounds or reasons.

Obviously, it also means the tenant might leave with a month's notice.

I dont think there is a 'better' option. Its what works for you and the tenant. Do you know what the tenants want?
      All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

The tenants have told me that they are happy to stay for at least another two years. On my current ast document it does not state that the tenancy will become a spt after the original 6 months has expired. Where do i legally stand with this matter?

Comment

Originally posted by TREK View Post
          The tenants have told me that they are happy to stay for at least another two years. On my current ast document it does not state that the tenancy will become a spt after the original 6 months has expired. Where do i legally stand with this matter?
          The housing act takes care of your ommission for you.

I would personally see if they will sign a 6 month tenacy agreement and make sure that it contains provision to use a Sec 8 for repossession within the fixed term.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

the S in SPT, stands for statutory. the statute defines the tenancy. Some AST agreements duplicate (sometimes badly) the statute definition, but that is not necessary
            All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X