LL not protected deposit. What should he do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LL not protected deposit. What should he do.

A mate has foolishly not protected the deposit for his tenants.

AST started april 2012

Tenant is 8 weeks behind in rent, has trashed the house and so LL served what appears to be legal section 21 in july 2012 for quit end of oct 2012.

I reckon seeing as he hasn't protected dep his section 21 is invalid?

I think this is what he should do but I'm not sure if I am correct:

1) Protect deposit and do prescribed info.
    2) Re issue valid notice.
    3) Take the 3x deposit hit when tenant takes LL to court over lack of protection, but still be able to evict under section 21?

Is this the best way to go about it?
    Can anyone advise how can he get himself back on the straight and narrow, and what the financial legal implications are for him now?

Thanks

toys

No. Return the deposit to the tenant. Get proof of that. Serve a new section 21. If the non protection ever gets to court (not very likely), he may have to pay between x1 and x3 depending on the circumstances
    All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

so a new s21 is valid then if the deposit has been returned?

Comment

that is correct. others will confirm
        All views posted reflect my personal opinion only and do not constitute professional advice which I am not qualified or knowledgeable enough to provide.

Comment

Originally posted by toys19 View Post

If possible, get him to see if the tenants will agree to offset the deposit against the arrears.
          If they will do this, make sure they put this in writing. He can then serve another Sec 21.
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by toys19 View Post
            Yes, see s.215(2A)(a) Housing Act 2004.

http://www.snorkerz.com/deposits_new.htm

Comment

Ok update, my mate has now discovered that his wife did protect the deposit, in july (4 month late) but defo did not give any info to tenant. How does this affect/change things?

My reading of it is that if he wants to issue s21 he needs to give deposit back anyway?

Comment

correct. if it ever got to a court with regards to deposit protection non compliance, it could look better for your friend and he could be looking at the lower end of the x1-x3 range.

section 21 advice above is unaffected

Comment

Ok thanks, as I thought.

Comment

MSaxp is right. The fact that LL protected the deposit 3 or 4 months late in July doesn't change anything. LL must still return the deposit if he wishes to serve a valid s.21 and LL is still exposed to a non-compliance claim.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice Needed
                      by Hudson01
                      I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
                      16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
                    • Advice Needed
                      by Confused2022
                      Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
                      15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
                    • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                      by Hudson01
                      I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
                      16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
                    • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
                      by Laurasplog
                      We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
                      by theartfullodger
                      What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

I humbly note...
                      16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
                      by Laurasplog
                      The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
                      16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
                      by Laurasplog
                      The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
                      16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
                    • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
                      by theartfullodger
                      In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
                      16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
                    Working...
                    X