Lodger Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lodger Problems

I'm currently share my house with 3 lodgers, one of who owes me over £2000 rent arrears, i served him a written notice to leave the property within 2 weeks, and advised him that i would be changing the locks after the date his notice expires.

I had a tenancy agreement with him which has expired, but later found out-that because he is a lodger that agreement wasn't valid.

This guy has caused me a lot of problems, the police have been called twice because he exposed himself to other lodgers of the opposite sex. He walks around smoking drugs. Ive just had it up to here with him, he lives in my property for free and is very intimidating. When i told him he would have to leave he said that i couldnt kick him out and that he would burn my house down.

I think i have a right to feel safe and secure in my property and will be changing the locks after the 2 weeks is up, and then will text him to pick up his belongings. I have a feeling he will call the police and i will show them the letter i served him as well as inform them of the situation, i'm just worried they will tell me to let him back in and i will be stuck with this nutter

Why on earth have you allowed the situation to go on this long?

I would give him 24 hours to get out and if he fails to do so, I would change the locks as soon as he leaves the property. You would not be breaking the law. Then put all his stuff in bin bags and pass it to him if he calls for it but do not let him in.

Then sue him for the £2000 if you think it is worth it.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      Why on earth have you allowed the situation to go on this long?

I would give him 24 hours to get out and if he fails to do so, I would change the locks as soon as he leaves the property. You would not be breaking the law. Then put all his stuff in bin bags and pass it to him if he calls for it but do not let him in.

Then sue him for the £2000 if you think it is worth it.
      Long story - he would put on the water works because he lost his job and i felt sorry for him. Once he had found a job, he said he was setting up a new business and needed a bit more time. Then once a month had passed he refused to pay and said he didnt owe me anything

I also have other problems with him, he exposed himself to a female lodger who eventually moved out because of him. She called the police and they warned him not to do it again. I then had another female lodger who was pregnant at the time and he exposed himself to her on numerous occasions. He even fiddled with the bathroom lock so he could walk in on her while she was in the shower and he was totally naked. She called the police and they warned him again, she didnt press charges though, because she was heavily pregnant and didnt want the stress.

I'm just worried once i change the locks, can the police force me to take him back?

I dont care about the arrears just want him gone

Comment

Originally posted by IanLee View Post
        I'm just worried once i change the locks, can the police force me to take him back?
        No, they cannot.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

As stated, you may give this problem tenant just 24 hours to leave.

I would confirm that you want him out of the house by lets say,
          11 am on a Saturday, and that there will be no remission.
          I say saturday, as you wil not be at work and can be there to
          change the lock, and to ensure no damage is done.

If you are worried that someone on drugs may become violent,
          then request the help of any of your friends to visit early
          Saturday morning, so that he sees you mean business.

You cannot manhandle him out, but you can make it difficult
          for him to move around if he fails to leave.
          If he fails to leave at the appointed time, you call the police
          saying you envisage a breach of the peace is just about to
          take place, as you have a unwelcome guest who refuses to
          leave.

Suggest you have a locksmith, etc, available at a moments
          notice to change the locks if no one there is capable.

You live at the premises, therfore all there are lodgers with
          little or no rights.

R.a.M.

Comment

Some police do not know the law and have been known to ask (wrongly) that a lodger be re-instated.

You should call the police before you change the locks to appraise them of the situation becasue he looks like trouble and you may need protection. You can also tell them about what he has said and how he has behaved towards your other lodgers. They may even offer to assist you when he leaves the premises.
            All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

He is under licence rather than a tenant

Comment

thanks for all the advice

i have changed the locks, and he (the lodger)has just attempted to open the door with his key and obviously has realized it is no use, so now he is parked outside of the driveway infront of the house waiting in his big van, what do i do?

Obviously i dont want to go outside as it may end up in a confrontation, his stuff is in the room, although he hasnt phoned me or texted me, he's just sitting outside in his van not doing anything.

Comment

Do nothing

Comment

Just in case he is still there...is his van blocking your exit onto the public highway? If so, ring the local police (not 999, obviously) and ask them to move him on.

If he's parked legally on the road and you can get out, then there is not much you can do unless he says or does anything to intimidate you. In which case, call the police. Given his history, it would be inadvisable to enter into discussion with him.

Comment

Did you text him to pick up his belongings?
                      Have you packed up his belongings so that they can be given to him quickly?
                      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

hey guys, he left and took all his belongings, i passed them through the door one by one, he however did swear at me and was punching and kicking the air. He told me wanted the bed, which was long there before he moved in and not his, he however was adamant the bed was his.

Now 2 days later i get a text from him telling me he went to the police regarding "imaginary" belongings he supposedly left behind and that the police advised him to take his case to a small claims court.

There are no belongings here, he took everything and left and now is trying to force me to give him the bed and who knows what else by sending me these texts, i havent replied to them.

Can he take me to a small claims court? he owes me over 2000 in rent arrears and has the cheek to talk about small claims court.

What shall i do? what if he takes me to a small claims court what do i do?

Comment

What shall i do? what if he takes me to a small claims court what do i do?
                          Don't be afraid of a court hearing, as all it is a judge / Magistrate
                          collating the information from your defence, asking questions, and
                          when you prove (Yes, proof is important ) you are right, you win,
                          and defendant pays your costs.

Sounds simple, I know.

Lodgers are not expected to carry a bed round on their back when
                          looking for some were to lodge.
                          It is normaly, here is the furnished house with a bed in every bedroom,
                          just bring your personal belongings.

You have others living there that can swear that the bed was always
                          there, and there before he moved in.

Assuming you can prove all this, just wait for a court summons.
                          I don't think he will go to court, as he wont have a receipt for the
                          make of the bed in your house.

Ihope other lodgers were there when you passed out his stuff, as I
                          suggested in an earlier post.

Let him sue in county court.
                          Even in the remote, very remote chance he wins, he still owes you
                          rent, and that too will be in your defence.

Did you have witnesses when you handed all his stuff tohim ?

R.a.M.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                            Don't be afraid of a court hearing, as all it is a judge / Magistrate
                            collating the information from your defence, asking questions, and
                            when you prove (Yes, proof is important ) you are right, you win,
                            and defendant pays your costs.

Sounds simple, I know.

Lodgers are not expected to carry a bed round on their back when
                            looking for some were to lodge.
                            It is normaly, here is the furnished house with a bed in every bedroom,
                            just bring your personal belongings.

You have others living there that can swear that the bed was always
                            there, and there before he moved in.

Assuming you can prove all this, just wait for a court summons.
                            I don't think he will go to court, as he wont have a receipt for the
                            make of the bed in your house.

Ihope other lodgers were there when you passed out his stuff, as I
                            suggested in an earlier post.

Let him sue in county court.
                            Even in the remote, very remote chance he wins, he still owes you
                            rent, and that too will be in your defence.

Did you have witnesses when you handed all his stuff tohim ?

R.a.M.
                            Hey R.A.M

Yes other lodgers were there when i passed the belongings, one actually passed a few things to him.

The room was fully furnished, i would never ask a lodger to bring their own bed.

Comment

Yes other lodgers were there when i passed the belongings,
                              one actually passed a few things to him.

The room was fully furnished,
                              On the face of it, you have proof that rooms were let fully furnished,
                              and the other lodgers can verify theirs were too.
                              You have proof that belongings were passed out the door, and your
                              other lodgers can confirm that as far as they can see, all the belongings
                              were returned and there are no belongings of the outgoing lodger
                              left in your house.

The ex-lodger will know all this, and would be foolish to even start
                              any claim, but he tried to intimidate you, that's all.

In case it gets to court, which it won't ( only your claim for rent )
                              then you may have to ensure the other lodgers attend, to swear
                              that the bed was your property ( hadalways been there ) and they
                              can see no belongings of the claimant in the house.
                              Cased proved, case dismissed and you ask for compensation /
                              your and lodgers costs for attending ( loss of wages, travelng, etc )

As i said, when you prove you are right, the judge has no option but
                              to rule in your favour. That's his job.
                              You know you are right, and your evidence will prove so, therefore
                              judge is on your side.

The first time I went to the High Court in London ( The one you see
                              T.V. reporters outside sometimes ) I was S........ing myself, because
                              someone said i did something that put a firm in a bad light.
                              I was suing them for bad workmanship and they counter sued in
                              London. I met then twice in 2 different courts.

But a county court is much more civilised, and you will probably be
                              sat round a table for maybe a "pre-trial",
                              It it ever gets that far, I think ex-lodgers case will be thrown out
                              there and then.

You have proof on your side, so don't worry, and it will be a day out
                              for you knowing you will win.

R.a.M.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                by doobrey
                                My view would be that it is best for all concerned to bring the tenancy to an end.

If he gives notice, that ends the tenancy for both of them on expiry of that notice. This puts you in a considerably stronger position than if you give him notice (in which case you may well have to then...
                                19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
                              • What to do if joint tenants separate or divorce
                                by HMOmike
                                I have a house rented on a standard AST to the same tenant since 2016. He has rented at other properties of mine on a single room basis for maybe 10 years prior and is a decent guy and very reliable. He is a Latvian and in 2017 he married a lady from Ukraine. He adopted his wife’s son and all 3 have...
                                19-05-2022, 15:35 PM
                              • Reply to Single parent renting
                                by Dct
                                She wants to move for reasons that are personal to her, I can't act as her gaurantor I'm the one helping her with her kids and I'm no position to do this. Some landlords need to give their heads a wobble and give single parents the benefit of the doubt
                                19-05-2022, 18:13 PM
                              • Single parent renting
                                by Dct
                                A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                                18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                                by KTC
                                It would be a normal non-accelerated claim for possession, not a possession claim against trespassers occupying. Someone who stayed after their notice to quit and hence their tenancy has expired are trespassers, but they didn't originally entered as a trespassers (since they had a tenancy) so the normal...
                                19-05-2022, 18:11 PM
                                by HMOmike
                                Thank you I never realised that they could jointly or severally give notice and that would end the contract for all, but it does make sense and you put it so clearly, thank you. How do I take it to court for possession? I have a reasonable grasp of S21 and S8 and have been to court for possession and...
                                19-05-2022, 18:02 PM
                              • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                by jpkeates
                                The problem is that the agent isn't bound by the tenancy agreement, and what they do with the deposit depends on their agreement with you.

As you can't do anything with the deposit anyway, because it's the company's money and they don't agree that you can have any of it, it's a bit academic...
                                19-05-2022, 15:57 PM
                              • Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                by abimsalabim
                                I am a Landlord and I have a company tenancy which has now come to an end. I did a check-in inventory before the tenant moved in and I have done a check-out inventory now that they have moved out, and there are damages to my property by the tenant. The deposit is being held by the agent and is not in...
                                18-05-2022, 14:15 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                If the tenancy is joint and several, and it's in a periodic tenancy, one tenant can serve notice and that ends the tenancy for both of them. So you don't have to serve notice on anyone if you don't want to.
                                That bit is simple.

The issue you will then face is that neither of them or...
                                19-05-2022, 15:51 PM
                              • Reply to Is my estate agent misleading me?
                                by abimsalabim
                                The tenant agreement states that the Landlord should hold onto the deposit until the dispute is resolved but, the agent is disputing this, claiming that they are the ones to hold onto the deposit as part of their Full Management Service...
                                19-05-2022, 15:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X