• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Want_to_move View Post
    Hi and thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure what you mean by "A notice served on 1st March would not be one months clear notice to become effective on 31st March"?

Thanks for your advice - it's worth a go I suppose about the rebate request, but essentially it would be a goodwill gesture rather than a legal requirement and these agents are very 'business-orientated', so I've a feeling they'll stick by the law, even though I've been a good tenant, never missed a rent payment and always looked after the property.

All the best
    First item: A "one-clear month" Notice on 1 March will be effective one clear month later (ie not before 1 April, if day of service included, or 2 April otherwise).

Leave a comment:

• Want_to_move
    replied
    Hi and thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure what you mean by "A notice served on 1st March would not be one months clear notice to become effective on 31st March"?

Thanks for your advice - it's worth a go I suppose about the rebate request, but essentially it would be a goodwill gesture rather than a legal requirement and these agents are very 'business-orientated', so I've a feeling they'll stick by the law, even though I've been a good tenant, never missed a rent payment and always looked after the property.

All the best

Leave a comment:

• Worldlife
    replied
    I'm afraid the agents are only partially correct here.

A notice served on 1st March would not be one months clear notice to become effective on 31st March

Write and state you accept that the tenancy should end on 31st March 2007 Seek confirmation that they accept this letter (or email) from you as providing more than the minimum one months notice required by the AST.

If you intend to leave on 6th March request that they accept return of the keys and undertake a checkout of the condition of the property (give time and date)

State that you trust that if the property is relet before 31st March 2007 that arrangements will be made to refund the rent you have paid for this period.

Leave a comment:

• Want_to_move
    started a topic 1 month's notice problem - Help Required Please

1 month's notice problem - Help Required Please

Hi there,

I've just found out today about a problem with the 1 month's notice I've given to a letting agent:

I originally had a 6-month Shorthold Tenancy Agreement, started on 1st November 2005, but after that expired, I've continued to live at the property by adding an Addendum to Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement, whereby I can give one month's notice to leave.

The text on the Addendum document is as follows:

"The Landlord(s) agrees the Tenant(s) may give one month's notice in writing to terminate the Tenancy during the said period, such notice to be given to XXXXX Lettings as Managing Agent for the Landlord(s) and to take effect at the end of a rent period"

I emailed and rang the letting agent yesterday, the 6th of Feb, saying I would like to leave 1 month later on 6th March.

However, they have wrote and said the following today:

"The addendum to your contract states that you must give one months notice, from the anniversary date of the original contract, in your case the 1st of the month.
    Therefore, the required notice period is from 1.3.07 to leave on 31.3.07"

I have always had a good relationship with the letting agents, and have rented problem-free for a total of almost 4 years, including time at another property previously.

I am wondering whether I will be forced to pay the extra 3.5 weeks in order to get my deposit back, or whether there is any way this can be resolved otherwise, i.e. they will have a tenant in the property if I leave on 6th March and therefore by receiving two rents on the property!

Is there any chance I can use a legal challenge, or 'come to an agreement' with the agent, or am I forced to pay if I leave (to get the deposit)?

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer, and I appreciate your time and effort.

Best regards,

Chris

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X