Tenant wants to pay for repairs himself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant wants to pay for repairs himself

Hello, my tenant just asked me if he could replace the old wooden back door at my property, and that he would pay for it. I think this should be my responsibility being the property owner. Are there any problems/pitfalls in letting him go-ahead?

If the door needs replacing, I suggest you get it replaced.
    Does it need replacing?
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

YEs, as far as I know the frame is rotten, but the tenant says he will sort it. I just wondered about liability?

Comment

IF the tenant is happy to sort it out himself, and IF he is competent to do it himself and IF the finished job is well done and secure then why not? Might be a nice gesture to offer to pay for the materials though.
        My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Originally posted by jock View Post
          YEs, as far as I know the frame is rotten, but the tenant says he will sort it. I just wondered about liability?
          Have you actually inspected it? If so, you should know whether the frame is rotten or not.
          Why is he then replacing the door if the frame is rotten?
          Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Thanks Oaktree, he says he knows a builder who would do it. I am considering moving back to the property in the near future - would the tenant dig his heels in if he had the work done and then was told he had two months notice?

Comment

Do not let tenant repair or replaceanything that is your duty and
              liability to replace.

YOU sort out the repair.
              Tenant will be happy that it cost him nothing.

Tell him no -- ( no reasons may be given )
              you need reliable builder who you will get an invoce from if anything
              goes wrong.
              If tenant gets builder to do job, tenant leaves sometime later without
              giving you details of builder or even a fictitious builders name and
              something goes wrong - - you are stuffed.

Tenant may just paint the door and say it's a new one.

Say no, you will send someone round.

R.a.M.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X