Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beeber
    replied
    Keep everyone posted on the outcome which will improve the knowledge on the forum

Live-in landlords are legally entitled to change the locks on lodgers that stay past the period of their notice because lodgers have extremely limited rights.

Nonetheless, there is the question of where lodgers stand when they are locked out during the stay without any notice and how best they can recover their belongings when this happens.

Leave a comment:

• cheekylilmonkey14
    replied
    Originally posted by Beeber View Post
    It's perfectly clear in her post that she is a lodger and perfectly clear that lodgers have extremely limited rights compared to tenants.

This does not necessarily mean a live in landlady can breach her own written notice, change the locks at no notice, retain all the possessions of her tenants and refuse them access to collect them and it may be possible that she's committed an offence. There's a few mays in that and the following advice on the Shelter website which makes clear the constraints and potential avenues for remedy.

Can the landlord do what s/he likes?
    No. There are certain actions that nearly always count as illegal eviction. Your landlord may be committing an offence if s/he:

changes the locks while you are out
    threatens you or forces you to leave
    physically throws you out
    stops you from getting into certain parts of your home.
    Your landlord can legally evict you only by following the correct procedure, which varies depending on the type of agreement you have.

What if I live with my landlord?
    If you live with your landlord in her/his home (for example, if you are a lodger), you are only entitled to reasonable notice before you have to leave. This notice can be given verbally, and should be equal to your rental period (for example, a week, if you pay your rent weekly) unless you have agreed to a different notice period in advance. It can be difficult to enforce your right to a minimum notice period but it is illegal for your landlord to use violence to get you to leave. If this happens, call the police

What can I do if I've been illegally evicted?
    If you are evicted illegally, you may be able to:

get help from the council - they may be able to help you negotiate with your landlord and, in extreme circumstances, they may prosecute landlords
    force your way back into the property (as long as it's safe and legal to do so)
    take your landlord to court - you may be able to get an injunction allowing you back into your home, or to claim compensation if you've lost out financially.
    thanks for your advice

Leave a comment:

• Beeber
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppy View Post
    Beeber, cheekylilmonkey14 is a lodger, not a tenant. The property is owned and occupied by the landlady.
    It's perfectly clear in her post that she is a lodger and perfectly clear that lodgers have extremely limited rights compared to tenants.

This does not necessarily mean a live in landlady can breach her own written notice, change the locks at no notice, retain all the possessions of her tenants and refuse them access to collect them and it may be possible that she's committed an offence. There's a few mays in that and the following advice on the Shelter website which makes clear the constraints and potential avenues for remedy.

Can the landlord do what s/he likes?
    No. There are certain actions that nearly always count as illegal eviction. Your landlord may be committing an offence if s/he:

changes the locks while you are out
    threatens you or forces you to leave
    physically throws you out
    stops you from getting into certain parts of your home.
    Your landlord can legally evict you only by following the correct procedure, which varies depending on the type of agreement you have.

What if I live with my landlord?
    If you live with your landlord in her/his home (for example, if you are a lodger), you are only entitled to reasonable notice before you have to leave. This notice can be given verbally, and should be equal to your rental period (for example, a week, if you pay your rent weekly) unless you have agreed to a different notice period in advance. It can be difficult to enforce your right to a minimum notice period but it is illegal for your landlord to use violence to get you to leave. If this happens, call the police

What can I do if I've been illegally evicted?
    If you are evicted illegally, you may be able to:

get help from the council - they may be able to help you negotiate with your landlord and, in extreme circumstances, they may prosecute landlords
    force your way back into the property (as long as it's safe and legal to do so)
    take your landlord to court - you may be able to get an injunction allowing you back into your home, or to claim compensation if you've lost out financially.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy
    replied
    You certainly must not force entry. I think that if the landlady is not home, the Police will ask you to wait until her return.

Leave a comment:

• cheekylilmonkey14
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppy View Post
    Do you just want your stuff back or do you want to stay another ten days?

Go to the property right now. Try to peaceably obtain entry to collect your belongings. If/when this is frustrated because of the changed locks and/or no admittance by the landlady, call the local Police (not the emergency 999). Be prepared to wait.
    ideally i want to live in the property for another 10 days as I do not have anywhere else to go for this period.

Failing this I want by belongings and a refund of rent paid to cover me up to 28th.

Can i/the police force entry to the property if need be?

thanks for your advice

Leave a comment:

• Poppy
    replied
    Beeber, cheekylilmonkey14 is a lodger, not a tenant. The property is owned and occupied by the landlady.

Leave a comment:

• Beeber
    replied
    If you need to contact the Police or the council, let them know that in your belongings you have written notice from the landlady which will prove that she has breached the agreement and illegally evicted you.

Read the advice here and feel free to contact them on their free advice line

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-7353.cfm

It advises that you also consider contacting the person at the council who deals with harassment and illegal eviction (sometimes called a tenancy relations officer). The council may have an emergency phone number.

Leave a comment:

• Poppy
    replied
    Do you just want your stuff back or do you want to stay another ten days?

Go to the property right now. Try to peaceably obtain entry to collect your belongings. If/when this is frustrated because of the changed locks and/or no admittance by the landlady, call the local Police (not the emergency 999). Be prepared to wait.

Leave a comment:

• cheekylilmonkey14
    started a topic lodger with landlady issues

lodger with landlady issues

Help! I am a lodger in a property, and I along with two other lodgers in the same property have given notice as per our written agreement, to move out on 28 February, due to issues we have had (mainly personality clash) with our live in landlady. We are actually intending to leave on the 16th.
    The three of us were all away from the property last night and our land lady has changed the locks while we were out and is refusing to answer any calls from any of us.
    Does anyone have any information on where we stand? All of our belongings are in the property.
    thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X