Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of Tenancy Start Date at the last minute

Morning all,

I hope you can help. I have an agreed tenancy start date on a tenancy agreement of the 20th (this weekend) however the previous tenant abandoned the house. As a result of a 14 day delay has been introduced while the landlord served notice after the abandonment. I was only told about this yesterday, the 15th.

While I understand this is unavoidable I now have nowhere to live and have everything setup and arranged for a move this weekend.

What are my rights in this situation? And ideally i need some proof of any rights. This is surely a breach of the tenancy agreement.

Ultimately I'd like agreement that they'll pay for a van to do a second move, as i can probably sort accommodation between now and when the place is ready.

Andy

You say you have an agreed tenancy start date. Do you mean that a tenancy agreement has been signed? If not, is there anything in writing?

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have several emails confirming the date, a Tenacy Agreement dated the 21st of Sept in an email with no signatures. And the agency/landlord has a signed copy I posted them.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by andychown View Post
        I have several emails confirming the date, a Tenacy Agreement dated the 21st of Sept in an email with no signatures. And the agency/landlord has a signed copy I posted them.
        Rather inconclusive. Without seeing the text of the emails it is impossible to say if a binding contract was formed, though the fact that a dated, even if unsigned, copy of the agreement was emailed may help. What did the text sending the agreement say? Did any email say anything along the lines that the agents were pleased to confirm a tenancy had been agreed?

Comment

Heres the line of text:

"The 20th October is an agreeable date so please see the contract and moving
          in letter attached."

Comment

I have an agreed tenancy start date on a tenancy agreement of the 20th (this weekend) however the previous tenant abandoned the house. As a result of a 14 day delay has been introduced while the landlord served notice after the abandonment. I was only told about this yesterday, the 15th.
            An 'abandonment notice' has no legal effect, nor is there an official 14 day timescale; it's simply sometimes done as a precaution when the LL isn't actually sure whether or not the T has permanently vacated. (If he has permanently vacated, then it would be an implied offer to surrender, and theoretically the LL may accept the offer and take possession immediately).

In the circumstances, I would be concerned that there is this uncertainty about the current tenancy status and when/if it's going to end. I wonder what the situation would be if the current tenant hadn't disappeared? Why would that have not caused a delay?

Comment

Heres the line of text:

"The 20th October is an agreeable date so please see the contract and moving
              in letter attached."
              That looks more promising. I meant to ask, have you paid any rent yet?

Comment

The previous tenant has taken some stuff so it should be ok. The locks have also been changed.

No I haven't paid any rent or deposit, only the admin charge.

thanks for the replies by the way!

Comment

Morning all,

I've had a fairly amicable result out of this now in that the estate agent has agree to move me to a different property.

Thanks very much for your replies they helped in my conversations with the estate agent.

Andy

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Estate agents letting fees
                    by Harper62
                    reply to: theartfullodger - the question relates to the agent's commission - the contracts are for one year or more and whether the agent should charge commission of a tenant stays longer than a year
                    02-12-2021, 22:01 PM
                    by Harper62
                    reply to Andrew Dodd - I think you've misunderstood. As I mentioned the house has been let since 2006 - the agent finds the tenants and secures the rental amount, draws up the contract - it's a successful operation. My query related to the period the agent wants to charge commission on. That's what...
                    02-12-2021, 21:57 PM
                    by Hudson01
                    I use an estate agent on a tenant find basis with no management but always interview each of the prospective tenants who pass the tests, i pay 1 months rent as their fee and that is it, if the tenancy lasts 1 year or 10 years i pay that one fee and that is it. Anything else i would not accept.
                    02-12-2021, 21:36 PM
                  • Reply to 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
                    by landlord-man
                    12 month AST

Establish rapport with Tenants, do some. LL training and then sack the agent and keep more ££ yourself...
                    02-12-2021, 20:43 PM
                  • 5 Yr Residential tenancy agreement
                    by Gurvinder
                    Hi All

We have a property which is managed by a letting agent
                    He has found new Tennent's that want to lease it for 5 yrs. There is a large hospital near the property and the tenants are NHS workers.

My questions are as below.

1) I read somewhere a long...
                    30-11-2021, 21:42 PM
                    by theartfullodger
                    So either do it yourself, no agent, or specify 6 months then rolling periodic.
                    02-12-2021, 20:37 PM
                  • Estate agents letting fees
                    by Harper62
                    Can I ask advice on this matter. I've had a property in London since 2006 which is rented. Whichever estate agent I use, they all want to charge a letting fee (let only not managed) on the whole term. Tenants often sign for more than a year and the estate agent is keen to charge a commission for each...
                    02-12-2021, 19:00 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    Why exactly do you want to use an agent for a Let only non-managed?

The most critical bit of the process which you should be doing yourself (even for fully managed) you are devolving to others. Will end badly....
                    02-12-2021, 20:22 PM
                  • Reply to help / advice on letting
                    by john19
                    I really would be grateful if someone could please comment on my above post ;-

1) Can you make an amendment to the existing tenancy agreement removing the estate agents as managing agents?

2) if the estate agents will not amend the existing agreement and still say a new tenancy...
                    02-12-2021, 20:17 PM
                  • Am I going to have any issues with this s21?
                    by Cotton
                    for a s21 to be valid i need to give the tenant the gas certifcate, epc, eicr and the 'how to rent' guide before occupation

Being a DSS tenant and not having access to their details prior to occupation, I emailed these documents to the council weeks before the tenant took occupancy at the...
                    02-12-2021, 20:06 PM
                  Working...
                  X