X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DianeB
    replied
    Originally posted by minniemousemat View Post
    Landlord - About getting your own back - why not a small ad (with no tel number) in the local paper - with the person's name and asking if he wants his collection of Razzle-Dazzle, Big Jugs etc, as he has left no forwarding address. Just use a pen name. A totally innocent way of connecting your ex-tenant with his property.
    Mainly Nuts Magazines actually! Shame I threw them away - could have done that.

Leave a comment:

• minniemousemat
    replied
    Database

Sadly it's a problem getting a person's name right and identifying them, let alone anything else.. Especially if it's Lee Smith or a name that's in common use, as it always is. (Apols to any Lee Smith's.)

It's also easy for anyone to change their name - and much cheaper than getting married I may add. Roll on genetic registers.

But I think it's a great idea for anyone who is rich enough to brave the libel laws.

Landlord - About getting your own back - why not a small ad (with no tel number) in the local paper - with the person's name and asking if he wants his collection of Razzle-Dazzle, Big Jugs etc, as he has left no forwarding address. Just use a pen name. A totally innocent way of connecting your ex-tenant with his property.

Leave a comment:

• smandir
    replied
    Originally posted by Bel View Post
    Is it safe to laugh?
    yes it is Bel(end)

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul_f View Post
    Wanna save some money calling Homelet. They only give you a 0870 number but if you go to www.saynoto0870.com just put "Erinaceous" (which is who their referencing arm really are) in the search facility and it will give you their landline number which begins 01522 I think (they are based in Lincoln). This website also will give you freephone numbers and landline numbers of banks, credit cards etc. and can save you a fortune.
    I use it all the time.
    Me too - it also relies on its users providing the site with all its data, so why don't you pass on the info about HomeLet? (I gave them Rentguard some time ago).

Leave a comment:

• Bel
    replied
    Originally posted by DianeB View Post
    Don't take offence, Smandir. I'm sure the word troglodyte was not aimed at you personally!
    Is it safe to laugh?

Leave a comment:

• DianeB
    replied
    Don't take offence, Smandir. I'm sure the word troglodyte was not aimed at you personally!

Leave a comment:

• smandir
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppy View Post
    Calling imperfect tenants troglodytes is an insult to troglodytes. I prefer the term fcuking barstards. Discuss…
    Consider yourself reported Poppy!!

Leave a comment:

• Joannepowell
    replied
    Snap

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
    But even then that doesn't necessarily lead to a CCJ - I recently had to evict my first tenant under S8, and as I knew there was no chance whatsoever of getting back my arrears, I didn't pursue it any further, on cost grounds. And it does pain me to think that she could present to a new landlord with a totally unblemished record.

Me too Eric! £3k of arrears to be exact! I would say it was a joke if it wasn't for the fact it isn't funny!

J

Leave a comment:

• DianeB
    replied
    I know it would be wrong to publish on here the names of our bad tenants, but if we were to give general areas of where we have properties, could we not pass on information to eachother by way of private message - or is this just not viable. At the moment I feel I want to shout his name from the rooftops to help stop him getting away with it again.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post
    The problem is I believe when a tenant is taken to court under S21 - then there is no money judgment as such to be entered into the database - but there is if its under S8 where rent arrears are sued for in addition to possession.
    But even then that doesn't necessarily lead to a CCJ - I recently had to evict my first tenant under S8, and as I knew there was no chance whatsoever of getting back my arrears, I didn't pursue it any further, on cost grounds. And it does pain me to think that she could present to a new landlord with a totally unblemished record.

Leave a comment:

• DianeB
    replied
    Originally posted by Bel View Post
    Why not ask for your fee back, plus some compensation? There 'mistake' could be negligence?
    I think I will just have to swallow this one as I don't have definite proof that my tenant has any previous CCJ's. Thank you Davidjohnbutton, I was most interested to read your post - it made good sense.

I have just come back from my house, having cleaned it out (he left it in good condition) but he was sitting outside this morning waiting for the postman. He doen't want me to know where he has moved to (a friend's house apparently.

Leave a comment:

• lorenzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Poppy View Post
    Calling imperfect tenants troglodytes is an insult to troglodytes. I prefer the term fcuking barstards. Discuss…

Thank you for sharing your experience with the members DianeB. Have you contacted the new landlord yet?
    Oh my! You just made me blush, we're not used to such language down here.

However I must agree, there is just no polite euphemism that does the job like... those words, eh? LOL

Leave a comment:

• Poppy
    replied

Thank you for sharing your experience with the members DianeB. Have you contacted the new landlord yet?

Leave a comment:

• lorenzo
    replied
    Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post

A decent database would include the persons full name, aliases, maiden name, NI number, all previous addresses, judgments/fines/repos and total committment of credit cards/loans (without identifying each individually).
    I hate to keep holding up Australia as the paradigm of good letting practice (because it is by no means perfect), but there is a third party, tenants database where agents (but not private landlords unfortunately) can enter troglodyte tenants and of course access information for the purposes of screening.

Not perfect, but another net to catch them out with.

I'm surprised some enterprising soul hasn't done the same there.

Leave a comment:

• davidjohnbutton
    replied
    I think this might be why your tenant escaped being "picked up" by the checks.

When a person incurs a county court money judgment, it is entered onto a central register from which all the credit reference bureau get their information. If the judgment is paid off within a month, the entry is removed as though it was never there. If paid off after one month, it stays on the records for six years.

The problem is I believe when a tenant is taken to court under S21 - then there is no money judgment as such to be entered into the database - but there is if its under S8 where rent arrears are sued for in addition to possession.

So it is quite concievable for a person to have been evicted several times under S21 without incurring any judgment which would be on credit bureau databases. A lot of landlords use S21 to get rid of a tenant who is behind with the rent, either writing the arrears off or taking a separate process for the arrears alone.

We need a central register of all debts and possessions fully accessible by those who are going to be at risk by lending or renting property out - and until there is, landlords are always going to be vulnerable to a tenant that is "off the radar" so far as some debts (i.e. magistrates courts fines and the above mentioned S21 and certain repossessions for example from council houses/social housing) records of which are not available to non-government bodies. This is not an invasion of privacy - I want to know who I am letting into my £100k plus houses - I want to know if they have a criminal record or owe huge fines or have been evicted from their council house etc. and the current checks available are woefully inadequate!

A decent database would include the persons full name, aliases, maiden name, NI number, all previous addresses, judgments/fines/repos and total committment of credit cards/loans (without identifying each individually).

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Is time more important than money?
    by Lawcruncher
    I am not suggesting it is the landlord's fault. I am just saying that, in some cases, if a tenant feels secure he is more likely to take care of a place....
    27-01-2022, 23:02 PM
  • Is time more important than money?
    by jpucng62
    Just had tenants move out of a property after 2 years. Always paid on time, perfectly pleasant young family who have now bought their own home BUT:

House was grimy - looks like they didn't clean properly in 2 years rather than anything overtly unpleasant
    Garden was left in a mess...
    27-01-2022, 17:20 PM
  • Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
    by MdeB
    That is because you have to do things properly for S21 to be valid.

Do everything properly and the S21 is valid.
    Get one thing wrong and it is invalid. There are many things to get right....
    27-01-2022, 22:54 PM
  • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
    by Beeble
    We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
    25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Lawcruncher
    The requirement comes from the tenancy terms. There are various reasons why a contract term may be void or unenforceable. They include: illegal; impossible; contrary to public policy; statute forbids them to be imposed; unfair. A requirement to keep a dwelling clean and leave it it clean is none of...
    27-01-2022, 22:20 PM
  • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by Piffy
    I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
    27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
  • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
    by AndrewDod
    Almost everything is telling you to sell them - far away, no experience, higher rate taxpayer, current environment
    27-01-2022, 22:04 PM
  • Inherited a few rentals
    by Landlord7289
    Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
    25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
  • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
    by DoricPixie
    Lawcruncher,

Why does a tenant need to leave the property in a reasonable state of cleanliness if the property wasn't in a reasonable state of cleanliness at the start of the tenancy? Where does the requirement come from? The deposit protection schemes don't appear to take that approach...
    27-01-2022, 21:11 PM
  • Reply to Tenant has moved partner in.
    by Hudson01
    Totally agree, the classic - still the best. They sound like a nightmare and i would be looking to get rid as soon as i could whilst we still have S21, removing kitchen cupboards !!! In a 2 bed flat...... why the hell would you remove part of a fitted kitchen, what are you going to do with the space....
    27-01-2022, 20:41 PM
Working...
X