Benfleet/Hadleigh's rogue tenant

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Benfleet/Hadleigh's rogue tenant

    Just in case anybody is interested. My non-paying tenant was due to be evicted today. Just as I turned up (with my tomotoes ready to throw at him) he drove away (I didn't even get the chance to throw one tin at him!). When the bailiff turned up, he mentioned that my tenant was well known to them - this was actually his third eviction that he knew of!

    The bailiff seemed to think that he had various CCJ's against him so it's a wonder how he got through Homelet's checks. He's only moved into a house down the road. Maybe I should drop his pornographic magazines round that he left behind!

    I would love to warn people against him. If anybody rents out a house in the Benfleet/Hadleigh area of Essex and were to contact me separately, could I pass on his name, or would this be unethical?

    #2
    Congrats!

    Originally posted by DianeB View Post
    The bailiff seemed to think that he had various CCJ's against him so it's a wonder how he got through Homelet's checks. !
    Why don't you ask them how this could be so?
    I'm interested.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

    * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *

    You can search the forums here:

    Comment


      #3
      I've put a call through to Homelet to ask that question.

      Comment


        #4
        Wanna save some money calling Homelet. They only give you a 0870 number but if you go to www.saynoto0870.com just put "Erinaceous" (which is who their referencing arm really are) in the search facility and it will give you their landline number which begins 01522 I think (they are based in Lincoln). This website also will give you freephone numbers and landline numbers of banks, credit cards etc. and can save you a fortune.
        I use it all the time.
        The advice I give should not be construed as a definitive answer, and is without prejudice or liability. You are advised to consult a specialist solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

        Comment


          #5
          Thank you Paul, I have heard about that website. I did get through to Homelet and asked how my tenant got through their checks. He dismissed my question by saying "it happens sometimes". I also got the impression they are not really interested in recovering the debt and told me if I wanted to try they would send me the court order and if I managed to get any payment, I would first have to repay them their court costs!

          Comment


            #6
            Moral of the story - forget about credit checks and instead make friends with your court bailiff; they'll tell you if your prospective tenant is known to them!

            Comment


              #7
              Why not ask for your fee back, plus some compensation? There 'mistake' could be negligence?
              All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

              * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * *

              You can search the forums here:

              Comment


                #8
                I think this might be why your tenant escaped being "picked up" by the checks.

                When a person incurs a county court money judgment, it is entered onto a central register from which all the credit reference bureau get their information. If the judgment is paid off within a month, the entry is removed as though it was never there. If paid off after one month, it stays on the records for six years.

                The problem is I believe when a tenant is taken to court under S21 - then there is no money judgment as such to be entered into the database - but there is if its under S8 where rent arrears are sued for in addition to possession.

                So it is quite concievable for a person to have been evicted several times under S21 without incurring any judgment which would be on credit bureau databases. A lot of landlords use S21 to get rid of a tenant who is behind with the rent, either writing the arrears off or taking a separate process for the arrears alone.

                We need a central register of all debts and possessions fully accessible by those who are going to be at risk by lending or renting property out - and until there is, landlords are always going to be vulnerable to a tenant that is "off the radar" so far as some debts (i.e. magistrates courts fines and the above mentioned S21 and certain repossessions for example from council houses/social housing) records of which are not available to non-government bodies. This is not an invasion of privacy - I want to know who I am letting into my £100k plus houses - I want to know if they have a criminal record or owe huge fines or have been evicted from their council house etc. and the current checks available are woefully inadequate!

                A decent database would include the persons full name, aliases, maiden name, NI number, all previous addresses, judgments/fines/repos and total committment of credit cards/loans (without identifying each individually).

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post

                  A decent database would include the persons full name, aliases, maiden name, NI number, all previous addresses, judgments/fines/repos and total committment of credit cards/loans (without identifying each individually).
                  I hate to keep holding up Australia as the paradigm of good letting practice (because it is by no means perfect), but there is a third party, tenants database where agents (but not private landlords unfortunately) can enter troglodyte tenants and of course access information for the purposes of screening.

                  Not perfect, but another net to catch them out with.

                  I'm surprised some enterprising soul hasn't done the same there.
                  Now signature free.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Calling imperfect tenants troglodytes is an insult to troglodytes. I prefer the term fcuking barstards. Discuss…

                    Thank you for sharing your experience with the members DianeB. Have you contacted the new landlord yet?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Poppy View Post
                      Calling imperfect tenants troglodytes is an insult to troglodytes. I prefer the term fcuking barstards. Discuss…

                      Thank you for sharing your experience with the members DianeB. Have you contacted the new landlord yet?
                      Oh my! You just made me blush, we're not used to such language down here.

                      However I must agree, there is just no polite euphemism that does the job like... those words, eh? LOL
                      Now signature free.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Bel View Post
                        Why not ask for your fee back, plus some compensation? There 'mistake' could be negligence?
                        I think I will just have to swallow this one as I don't have definite proof that my tenant has any previous CCJ's. Thank you Davidjohnbutton, I was most interested to read your post - it made good sense.

                        I have just come back from my house, having cleaned it out (he left it in good condition) but he was sitting outside this morning waiting for the postman. He doen't want me to know where he has moved to (a friend's house apparently.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by davidjohnbutton View Post
                          The problem is I believe when a tenant is taken to court under S21 - then there is no money judgment as such to be entered into the database - but there is if its under S8 where rent arrears are sued for in addition to possession.
                          But even then that doesn't necessarily lead to a CCJ - I recently had to evict my first tenant under S8, and as I knew there was no chance whatsoever of getting back my arrears, I didn't pursue it any further, on cost grounds. And it does pain me to think that she could present to a new landlord with a totally unblemished record.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I know it would be wrong to publish on here the names of our bad tenants, but if we were to give general areas of where we have properties, could we not pass on information to eachother by way of private message - or is this just not viable. At the moment I feel I want to shout his name from the rooftops to help stop him getting away with it again.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Snap

                              Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                              But even then that doesn't necessarily lead to a CCJ - I recently had to evict my first tenant under S8, and as I knew there was no chance whatsoever of getting back my arrears, I didn't pursue it any further, on cost grounds. And it does pain me to think that she could present to a new landlord with a totally unblemished record.

                              Me too Eric! £3k of arrears to be exact! I would say it was a joke if it wasn't for the fact it isn't funny!

                              J

                              Comment

                              Latest Activity

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X