Renting out a property which has a fishpond in the garden...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting out a property which has a fishpond in the garden...

Hi All,

Has anyone rented out a property which has a fishpond in the back garden? One letting agent has informed me that I would have to fill it in (don't really want to do that) and another has informed me that
    I have no legal liability to do so...Does anyone else out there have experience of such a situation? Thanks.

Obviously a pond is a danger for children. I don't see why you should have to fill it in but you need to do something for your own peace of mind. Let it as 'unsuitable for those with dependents', put a secure fence around it, or fill it in. From my experience of letting I wouldn't trust a tenant to look after the pond in the way I would like it to be looked after, so I'd fill it in if it was small or include an amount to cover a pond care service.

Comment

It's pointless to ask a [legally unqualified] letting agent for their legal opinion.

I suggest you talk to your insurer.

If there are fish in the fishpond, and you don't want them to die, I'd remove them before letting the property.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
        Obviously a pond is a danger for children. I don't see why you should have to fill it in but you need to do something for your own peace of mind. Let it as 'unsuitable for those with dependents', put a secure fence around it, or fill it in. From my experience of letting I wouldn't trust a tenant to look after the pond in the way I would like it to be looked after, so I'd fill it in if it was small or include an amount to cover a pond care service.
        The fishpond was already here when I bought the house (it's my own residence). No fish in the pond - it's more ornamental although there is a depth to the water which makes me uneasy.

I have stated to letting agents that I don't want families with young children as tenants. As it stands, a professional couple with no children are interested so, hopefully, there'll be no need to fill it in. It's just with all the H&S regulations, I just don't want to be liable for other people's children. I'll check with my insurer as suggested by westminster and follow their instructions.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X