Proving a tenant lives at a property!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proving a tenant lives at a property!!

I've just received a letter from my LA to state that he doesn't think my tenant is living at the property because everytime he visits it to collect rental top ups she is never there to answer the door. However, there is someone living there. The tenant is in contact with the LA as she regularly goes into his office to pay rental top ups.

Because the tenant is on benefits the LA has informed the benefits office of his suspicions. (which I understand is his legal duty) He has also instructed the benefits office to make all future HB payments directly to me.

He has told me that it is now up to me to prove that she lives there and has given me one month's written notice to terminate our agreement. You can understand my anger with the LA but now this puts me in a very awkward position as I am currently working overseas and rely on someone to manage my property.

What should I do now with regard to proving that the tenant does/doesn't live at the property

Originally posted by conchita 63 View Post
    He has told me that it is now up to me to prove that she lives there and has given me one month's written notice to terminate our agreement.
    You mean your contract with the agent to manage the property? Why does he want to terminate it?

What should I do now with regard to proving that the tenant does/doesn't live at the property
    Who are you meant to prove it to, and why? I know that there's the risk that if T is not entitled to benefits then you might have to pay back HB payments, but still don't know how you'd go about proving T is in occupation, especially when you are not in the UK. As the agent is in regular contact, why hasn't he discussed it with the T?

Comment

Originally posted by conchita 63 View Post
      Because the tenant is on benefits the LA has informed the benefits office of his suspicions. (which I understand is his legal duty)
      Never heard that before, but whatever, given that your agent is acting for you, it sounds as if his actions are somewhat 'overzealous', shall we say.

He has told me that it is now up to me to prove that she lives there and has given me one month's written notice to terminate our agreement. You can understand my anger with the LA but now this puts me in a very awkward position as I am currently working overseas and rely on someone to manage my property.
      Words fail me... or is there more to this story that you're not telling us?

Comment

Quote Words Fail me.... or is there more to this story that you're not telling us?

The email I received from LA came out of the blue. The only other unresolved issue I had was concerning rental payments as the tenant is currently in arrears. I asked him how much HB he was receiving per year and he is currently looking into it. Maybe I have hit a nerve!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X