Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential harassment of tenant

Hi there,

I've recently had the following text conversation with a tenant. I wondered if anyone had been in a similar situation and if anyone had any specific advice they could pass on?

Tenant

Hi, nothing wrong with the house but I'm having real problems with the next door neighbour he has become very attached to me and has even been sending flowers to my work (don't know how he found out were I work) I have been told to go to the police a it's boarding harassment just thought you should know x

Me

Which neighbour is it? I'm more than happy to have a polite word with him

Tenant

The guy on his own to the left but at the back... He keeps giving my daughter presents (a 10ft trampoline) and I really don't know what to do now he has a very messed up Background (he has a book which tells all) and has already told me both his brothers are pedophiles so obviously as you can imagine I'm on pins at the moment

Me

Absolutely understand that and, in all honesty, I'd prob go to police myself! What do you want me to do? I'm happy to go and speak to him myself for you, happy to find out who he rents from and try to speak to his landlord or happy to speak to police for you or whatever you want? I wont accept you being harassed!

Tenant

He's bought the house 9months ago... I don't think there's much I can do at the moment bar log it with the police but I just wanted you to know as it is your house after all, also is there anyway we can get the gate secured in the garden? I can ask dad just didn't want to go ahead without asking... I will send you a copy of the letter he attached with flowers and you will understand a lot more then x

I definitely don't like the thought of her being harassed and would like to be proactive in protecting her, also, don't want to lose a good tenant!

Thanks for any help.

You are doing the right thing.
    Many on here would tell you it's no concern of yours, as you cannot
    control who buys or rents next door.

But it IS up to your tenant to call the police, and do him for
    harrassment as you can't do it for her.

Yes, go and talk to the man and tell him to back off.
    Also get the gate secured as requested.

That's as much as you can do.
    Probably if you do see the man, then more problems may arrise, and
    your tenant would probably leave, no matter what you do.

So make sure you have a phone conversation with your tenant, and
    point out the situation can go 2 ways.
    1) A man ( you ) calling round to tell him to backoff, may stop him.
    2) the situation gets worse because he has been told to back off
    and he does not want to, and feels it's no concern of yours.

Bottom line is, your tenant will probably move, and you will have to
    rent to men only next time.

R.a.M.

Comment

You could also make sure that doors are secure etc, spy holes and chains etc, and perhaps put in CCTV (or dummy CCTV) watching the garden if T requests it.

ML
      Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Personally, I think you should do nothing other than advise the tenant to report the matter to the police, and either install a lock or give her permission to install a lock on the garden gate.

You are not the tenant's protector, and getting involved could easily escalate the situation. A polite word is hardly likely to have any effect, and if it goes beyond politeness, e.g. threats to back off, you could end up with the neighbour assaulting you or reporting you to the police.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
          Yes, go and talk to the man and tell him to back off....

1) A man ( you ) calling round to tell him to backoff, may stop him.
          2) the situation gets worse because he has been told to back off
          and he does not want to, and feels it's no concern of yours.
          So, you advise OP to talk to the neighbour even though you think it could well lead to the situation worsening?

This is a clearly a police matter and OP should not get involved.

Comment

I agree with Westminster. Whilst your concern for your tenant is admirable, you are not their guardian. Tell tenant to seek advice from the police, and if you are happy for her dad to supply/fit a lock to the gate then fine. Indeed, it is her Dad who should be fighting this battle and supporting her, not you.

You could also suggest that she writes this guy a letter - sometimes spoken words and actions can be misconstrued, and this guy obviously got the wrong end of the stick somewhere along the line. She should just tell him firmly that the gifts he is showering on her and her daughter are not welcome, and please could he refrain from bothering her, calling on her and contacting her at work, otherwise she will be taking legal advice against him for harrassment. Sometimes the "letting them down gently" approach, doesn't work, and she needs to curtail this before it goes any further.

By the way, just because there seems to be some accusations of paedophilia towards his brothers, does not mean he is of the same ilk.

Comment

Originally posted by westminster View Post
              So, you advise OP to talk to the neighbour even though
              you think it could well lead to the situation worsening?
              Correct, but I did say it could go 2 ways.
              He backs off, or not.

ngriffiths has a choice as to what he does, and has asked for an oppinion.
              But note also, i said :-
              But it IS up to your tenant to call the police, and do him for
              harrassment as you can't do it for her.

So we can offer no more solutions as we have all given various
              solutions, which only ngriffiths can decide which way to go.

R.a.M.

Comment

Ah, the wonders of being a landlord - things are never simple :-)

I do appreciate all of your replies though, and this scenario has certainly given me food for thought. My preference is that she speaks to him (or letter) and tells him she's not interested. Her dad can too if necessary. Then they can call the police if needed.

Then we'll have to see what happens. CCTV is an option, but probably not cost effective, most likely is I'll be looking for an alternative tenant (or sell up and find an alternative property!)

Comment

I think it's got too far for a letter. He's given her expensive gifts so in his mind they are close.

Over twenty years ago whilst at college another student stalked me. He would follow me home, write poetry and recorded a song. It is very hard to tell someone to bog off when they are being that *nice* to you. I decided to tell him one more time that I was not interested in him that way and well it resulted in my being attacked in the lift of the college and my clothes torn off me with him trying to get us up to the third (empty) floor of the building. If Karen hadn't called the lift on our 2nd floor I dread to think what could have happened.

Tell her to go to the police.
                  I'm a good tenant with great landlords
                  I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to notifying utility companies of tenant change
                    by DoricPixie
                    You don't need the password of the vacating tenant. Their account with the utility company has nothing to do with you as you are setting up a new account not taking over the tenant's account. The section on the websites is usually called something like "Moving Home" and although you're not...
                    19-05-2022, 03:26 AM
                  • notifying utility companies of tenant change
                    by flyingfreehold
                    Does anyone have a shortcut? Right now we seem to have to hang on interminably long on the phone to provide details of leaver readings, put the account back in landlords name and then to provide new tenants' details when the place is re-let. Anyone know of a shortcut? We used to send out letters but...
                    18-05-2022, 21:10 PM
                    by flyingfreehold
                    but how can you give the information online if you dont have the password of the tenant vacating?
                    19-05-2022, 02:14 AM
                    by DoricPixie
                    You’re not really putting the account back into the landlord’s name, you’re opening a new account.

I thought the majority of utility suppliers let you set up a new account online as they don’t really want you phoning them either. Closing the account is all done online too and the...
                    19-05-2022, 00:35 AM
                  • Reply to Windows and front door smashed
                    by Yorkie2020
                    Thanks artfull, we have the CRN. we may need help from the place you suggested as I've never had to deal with an insurance company before and it's already looking like its going to be North of £1600 claim and they will try to wriggle out of it.

Had a very unpleasant chat with the tenant...
                    19-05-2022, 00:04 AM
                  • Windows and front door smashed
                    by Yorkie2020
                    Tenant messaged this morning to say her living room window and front door were smashed in last night plus some other damage. She called the police who arranged for someone to secure the broken window and door.
                    In all the years of being a landlord, I've never had to make an insurance claim before,...
                    17-05-2022, 16:41 PM
                  • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
                    by Renterthedragon
                    I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
                    18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
                    by ash72
                    I've not found any short-cuts, as each company has their own quirks on dealing with this. It usually takes a couple of calls to a customer services person to provide the information, due to GDPR they wont say anything about the exiting T.

Some Councils, seem to have an online form you can...
                    18-05-2022, 21:21 PM
                  • Reply to Single parent renting
                    by Hooper
                    I am not sure that it will make her feel any better but I suspect that the children are more of an issue than being a single mum. Friends of mine have been rejected from every family size house they have applied to. They are high earning professionals with decent references and ... two young kids 2...
                    18-05-2022, 20:28 PM
                  • Single parent renting
                    by Dct
                    A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
                    18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
                  Working...
                  X