Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Damage

Good evening;

I have just left a property, during which we had no real problems.

However, in the bathroom, i think the seal around the bath was rather old, and water had started to seep into the back of the bath, and into the floorboards. We didn't notice this initially due to it being hidden by the bath and sidings themselves.

The first indication we had, was when the floor in the hallway outside started to feel damp and when the we pulled the carpet up, there was a fungus growing on the floor boards.

We informed the rental agent immediately about the damage, and the promptly sent someone around to re-seal the bath (breaking the side panel in the process) and to replace the floorboards in the hall.

We have since moved out, and handed the keys back. The landlord has since returned to the property and discovered more damage to the floorboards in the bathroom itself. She is now trying to claim that there is a second leak and that we didn't report it. However, we had no knowledge of the leak, and both the hallway outside, and the cupboard next to the bathroom have been completely dry since the seal was renewed.

I have a few questions regarding this:

1: Who is responsible for the damage, as it had been previously reported to them that there was water leaking and the handyman never replaced the floorboards in the first instance.

2: The agent is withholding our deposit until an agreement is made. It was my understanding that the deposit should be returned anyway, and any damages to be paid for after discussion by both Us and the Landlord on the price.

3: Can the landlord return to a property After we have returned the keys and then try and blame us for any other damage that she finds? If this was the case, surely she could cause some damage and then simply blame it on us?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Yours

Richard

Originally posted by NegenTien View Post
    1: Who is responsible for the damage, as it had been previously reported to them that there was water leaking and the handyman never replaced the floorboards in the first instance.
    It would be hard for the landlord to prove that your negligence is the reason why it wasn't found earlier.

2: The agent is withholding our deposit until an agreement is made. It was my understanding that the deposit should be returned anyway, and any damages to be paid for after discussion by both Us and the Landlord on the price.
    Your understanding sounds ridiculous. What would be the point of the deposit?

3: Can the landlord return to a property After we have returned the keys and then try and blame us for any other damage that she finds? If this was the case, surely she could cause some damage and then simply blame it on us?
    Yes she can, but the onus is on her to prove it.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X