CEILING COLLAPSED - what is my best course of action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CEILING COLLAPSED - what is my best course of action?

Hi,
    I am a landlord for a tenant in a lower one bedroom flat.
    There is only one other flat in the detached house, situated upstairs.
    On Tuesday evening I was informed by my tenant that the lounge ceiling had collapsed. He said there was no damage to either himself or his belongings, and that he was about to go to bed and would get it seen to in the morning.

I arranged for a plasterer to survey the damage and provide a quote, as well as calling the buildings insurance to try and ascertain whether it would need to be an insurance claim.

I am waiting for a quote via email (later today) and a date to make safe and repair the ceiling.

Meanwhile, where do I stand in terms of liability if the tenant sustains an injury by the rest of the ceiling collapsing on him before it has been repaired?

I have advised him (in writing via email) to move his valuables out of the lounge and to reposition his furnishings to avoid sitting under the bulge/crack that exists in the remaining ceiling.

I am not sure whether I need to request he moves out and deduct rent for this, or what to do? I want to safeguard myself legally and obviously avoid placing the tenant at risk too, but I simply have no experience regarding this at all.

Help anyone?

Originally posted by almalet View Post

I arranged for a plasterer to survey the damage and provide a quote, as well as calling the buildings insurance to try and ascertain whether it would need to be an insurance claim.
    I would ask your insurance company, and plasterer what the best course of action is.
    Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

As thesaint says, talk to the insurance company.

Personally, I would want to know whether the cause of the 'collapse' is merely aged plaster dropping off or whether it's a more serious structural problem, so it may be advisable to get a surveyor or structural engineer to inspect.

I would also contact the freeholder.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X