Tenant not keeping garden tidy - moves out on 29th Sept?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenant not keeping garden tidy - moves out on 29th Sept?

Hello Everyone,

I have a tenant that is moving out on 29th September. Three weeks ago I noticed that the front garden was resembling a jungle as I passed and notified the Agency. They contacted the tenant and he replied that he will get round to doing it sometime as he has been working all hours.

That was three weeks ago and the gardens, both back and front have not been touched. I know that he is living with his parents at present and only using the house as a mail address (He is not DHSS).

The Agency told me that they only inspect once every 6 months and will not check again until the end of the tenancy (end of this month). He is not renewing so the signs are up already TO LET.

The garden being in such a state hardly makes the property attractive and it is in a good area with great neighbours which I feel is also disrespectful to them.

Before I contact the Agency again, I'm just wondering where I stand legally, as in I do not want to go down and clean the garden up as I would not want to provoke the tenant. Would I be able to get a professional gardenning company in to do the job and backcharge the tenant, taking any costs involved from his deposit at the end of his tenancy?

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    Regards
    MTK

The tenant is obligated to return the garden in a similar condition to when it was let - obviously seasonal variations permitted! Does your agent have a written inventory to prove the condition of the garden when the tenant moved in? Does the tenancy agreement state the tenant's responsibilities to maintain and keep the garden tidy? Is tenant's deposit protected in a deposit scheme?

If tenant leaves and does not comply with any requirements stated in the tenancy, and there is written proof that the condition of the garden is worse than at the start of the tenancy, you claim the cost of returning the garden to original condition from the deposit.

However, I am concerned at your comment that the tenant is not renewing? Has tenant actually given written notice that they are LEAVING? If not, the tenant does not need to go anywhere, as even if they do not formally renew, only the fixed term ends, and the tenancy will continue until either you or the tenant gives notice.

Comment

Hello LesleyAnne,
      Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
      The Tenant has given notice sometime ago that he would not renew as he has split with his partner and they cannot afford to keep it up. We had agreed that if we could get another tenant in the meantime then he could leave early, but that has not happened.
      His deposit is protected in a deposit scheme.
      Yes the agreement does state that the tenant has to keep the garden up to the required standard.
      Photos and an inventory were taken of the property by the Agency.

Regards
      bb

Comment

You would be out of order to employ gardeners during the tenancy, indeed if the tenant has allowed the agent to erect 'to let' signs then that is lucky - though maybe he did that because he wanted out early.

The tenants communication with the agent is irrelevant - if he decides to stay beyond the end of the fixed term (renewal or not) then he can, you will have to evict if you want the place back,

Once the tenancy is over, if the garden needs work to bring it back up to a similar standard, then you can apply to deduct the cost from his deposit or even consider suing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Single parent renting
          by Dct
          The UC is too help pay for childcare, so she can work ( and does work full time), therefore pay rent/bills etc etc. It just feels like some landlords make sweeping judgements as soon as they hear single parent in receipt of UC
          19-05-2022, 08:16 AM
        • Single parent renting
          by Dct
          A friend of mine who is a single parent with three children is trying to find a house to rent. She has three children and recieves UC mainly to help with childcare costs, but despite viewing several houses and showing interest and showing she is more than able to pay rent, she has been turned down and...
          18-05-2022, 16:32 PM
        • Reply to Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
          by DoricPixie
          You don't need to get the details from the Land Registry. The tenant can request, in writing, the letting agency to supply the landlord's contact details citing the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. I'm not sure how wise that would be if it could potentially hack off the landlord although I do wonder...
          19-05-2022, 08:09 AM
        • Advice for tenant asked for big rent rise
          by Renterthedragon
          I’m a tenant facing a sharp rent increase and in need of advice.

I have a good landlord who agreed to a rent reduction last year because of ongoing maintenance issues and lower market values. However, I can only communicate with them through an agency.

Approaching the end...
          18-05-2022, 22:10 PM
        • Reply to Single parent renting
          by jpkeates
          Dct If the reason that your friend can't get a tenancy is because she's a woman or because she has children, it is probably discriminatory.
          Which is probably a reason no one is going to explain why she's being turned down.

Being on benefits isn't going to help either - because people...
          19-05-2022, 08:02 AM
          by jpkeates
          I can't tell you how hacked off I would be if one of my tenants did that.

The agreement has a price variation clause in it, the landlord and tenant have both agreed to it,...
          19-05-2022, 07:58 AM
          by theartfullodger
          Spend £3 with gov.uk land registry and get deeds which will get owner name and address then communicate directly
          Agree with above advice

Agent probably wants new agreement signed so they charge landlord fees....
          19-05-2022, 07:21 AM
          by jpucng62
          The S21 threat is just that - no LL wants to go through that process to evict a good tenant and it maybe the agent who is behind this. However, market rents have shot up over the last year. I think you should try to negotiate.

Your LL seems decent, having given you a rent reduction last...
          19-05-2022, 06:54 AM
        • Reply to Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by jpkeates
          You can counter claim for compensation to offset the rent owed in a Section 8 claim.
          But a claim for compensation for PTSD triggered by a dispute about an electricity bill and subsequent harassment is going to be tough to argue in what’s likely to be a 15 minute property court hearing.
          19-05-2022, 06:35 AM
        • Advice for tenant and section 8 counter claim
          by Forgetmeknot
          I wondered if anyone can tell me if it is possible to counter claim for damage, harassment, poss landlord breach in contract and emotional distress in a section 8 eviction.
          so basically I’ve read online that i can claim for compensation which will go towards reducing my rent arrears but my solicitor...
          18-05-2022, 16:30 PM
        Working...
        X